Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Dark Sport:
i like it the other way around, svt with se badges.

noting that, my brother bought a 1986 camaro iroc-z (bad ass car!) that was black with gold stickers and silver/gold rims with a 5.0L TPI 265hp V-8/7004R tranny. well, time to get rid of it and he sells it to a guy that was buying it for (unknown at the time) his drug addict son who tore the #$@% out of it. took it away from him and gave it back to my brother and asked him if he could fix it. well, anyway, the kid was showing off after school one day and was doing burnouts and rear ended a school bus causing the hood to be all bent up. he replaced it with a z28 hood (different hood louvers) and painted the whole car the typical 80's camaro green. now, only place it says IROC-Z are the mudflaps, 1" round center caps on rims (which are horrible looking on the green car), and the dash. pray for the poor soul driving the late 80's z28 who pulls up to it thinking he'll run with it....

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by 18psi2300:
Like I said a few posts ago...SVT didn't exist until after the Turbocoupe was long gone...there were quite a few parts in the Motorsport catalog, but nothing from SVO.

The first part is correct, but the SVO DID BUILD THE TURBO COUPES.

As for the people who say it's not SVT...the SVO WAS the old-school SVT...they just renamed it a few years later.

-Brian 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 ATX - British Racing Green (two-tone) - 44,000+ miles Former owner of a black '99 SE Sport Duratec ATX - 107,000+ miles
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I think it is generally accepted that a sticker on your car with some product name on it means you have made some addition/change to your car and is reflected by the sticker.
i.e. the "eibach" comment a while back implies that eibach springs are installed.
Most people probably don't have a problem with stickers being put on a car IF you actually put something on the car and represent it with the sticker.

An actual factory badge placed on a car that didn't carry that badge is plain horsecrap. It is a wannabe, poser, or whatever you call it.
It goes along with the same type of mindset of braggarts and liars in my book...if you ain't got it then don't front it.

Better to put your own name on the damn car and build it to your own specs and be more original.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
L
L
I have a 66 mustang with shelby stripes, does this make me out to be a poser. If you and I know it isn't a SVT then what diffrence does it make to the rest of the world? I don't go around telling people that my car is a shelby but it's kind of funny when people call it that.

Svt 99

Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Originally posted by mavrock:
Like I said a few posts ago...SVT didn't exist until after the Turbocoupe was long gone...there were quite a few parts in the Motorsport catalog, but nothing from SVO.

As for the people who say it's not SVT...the SVO WAS the old-school SVT...they just renamed it a few years later.

SVO played no role in the Turbocoupe...The only relation is that SVO made a mustang using the same engine. They began working with the Tbird when they thought the Mustang was going to be canceled, but nothing ever came of that except a few parts in the Motorsport catalog (and some people say the rear disk brakes on the 87-88's, but its never been confirmed) .

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by mavrock:

SVO played no role in the Turbocoupe...The only relation is that SVO made a mustang using the same engine. They began working with the Tbird when they thought the Mustang was going to be canceled, but nothing ever came of that except a few parts in the Motorsport catalog (and some people say the rear disk brakes on the 87-88's, but its never been confirmed) .

Well I had to prove my point, so I went and found a couple sites that confirm what I was trying to say. Check out this one or specifically this one for info.
There are more out there, but this was on of the most blatant ones aside from the sites that had pictures (magazine articles, promotions) of SVO products w/ the Mustang and Turbo Coupe together.
I may not have been entirely accurate in saying that the SVO built the Turbo Coupe from the ground-up, but they CERTAINLY had a hand in designing/engineering 95% of it for sure.

The Turbo Coupe is definitely a product of the SVO.

-Brian 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 ATX - British Racing Green (two-tone) - 44,000+ miles Former owner of a black '99 SE Sport Duratec ATX - 107,000+ miles
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I bet SVO did play a part in the Turbo Coupe. Roush played a big part in the SN-95 Cobra Mustangs, and I am sure they still do today. My dad works for Ford, and was stationed at a Roush building for a year or so. I remember one time I went in there and they had row after row after row of Cobras, just sitting there. So unless you were head of SVO, I wouldnt be so quick to say they had nothing to do with the Turbo Coupe, chances are, they did.

redcontour.20megsfree.com/photo.html 98 T-Red SE Sport ATX ST200s Slightly Lowered Catless Y-Pipe Resonator Removed Clear Front Lenses Side Markers SVT Seats
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
In the late 70s through the 80s Ford made the Turbo Coupe, Mustang GT Turbo, Cobra Turbo, and the SVO Mustang. The Turbo Coupe, Cobra, and GT Turbo are basicly the same engine, the SVO has many unique parts. The early 2.3L turbo had a carburator!

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
The 2.3L turbo engine was in the Mustang in 1979, the SVE version in the SVO Mustang came around 1984. The Turbo Coupe and Mustang GT/Cobra Turbo has the same engine. If you check a parts catalouge you will find very few parts in common between the TC and SVO engines of the same years. SVE may have had a hand from the beginning, but the 2.3L turbo has it's roots in the Mustang.

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Originally posted by http://www.svoca.com:
Epilog
There was talk at Ford about '86 being the last year of the Mustang. The reasoning was, the increasing popularity of the Mazda built Probe and better EPA numbers would help Ford meet their CAFE requirements. The SVO team was informed that the Mustang would be dropped at the end of '86.

With the SVO team notified of the demise of the Mustang, work was begun on a new SVO T Bird. While the work progressed, the UAW approached Ford and pointed out, If the Mustang was replaced by the off shore produced Probe, many Dearborn workers would be without jobs. Ford agreed and signed a contract with the UAW to produce the Mustang until 1993.

They started working on a t-bird, but it was never produced...the upgrades that were going to be on it, were later sold in the Ford Motorsport catalog.

Before this point SVO focused strictly on the Mustang, so Ford was developing the turbocoupe alongside of SVO designing the SVO Mustang. Not to mention the first turbocoupes were released in 1983 while SVO was still hard at work on the SVO Mustangs.

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard