Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I would have said something like "Wow...thats surprisingly ignorant. Is there another salesperson available that knows a little bit more?" Or ask to speak to the manager. Of course its tough to come up with the right way to react to something like that when it happens out of the blue and you just werent ready for it. I've had good experiences and bad experiences with car salespeople -- as someone mentioned, some of them just do not have all the facts and are really not interested enough in the cars to bother to get all the facts. And some are just downright pushy "lets go into the office and work through the details, shall we?"

My favorite own story is I went to a dealership that I had called ahead of time to see if they would be open and if I got there 15 minutes before close if they would let me test drive a car I was interested in, and he said sure no problem come on down. Well I show up, and ask to drive the car, and the salesguy like, well we are almost closed, are you going to buy the car? I said I dont know, thats why I came to drive it. I asked if the other salesguy was there, and he said no hes busy in the back and wouldnt get him. Then he basically told me I needed to come back tomorrow they were closing and needed to move the cars around-- very annoyed to say the least I started walking towards my car and the I hear the guy complaining that he hasnt sold a single car this week to another sales guy. Well no f**king kidding a**hole!

00 SVT Contour: SHM LT headers, LSD, Spec Stg 3...dyno:190.3whp sold 02/04 04 Subaru Baja Turbo 5-spd 00 Camaro SS 393cid: 510rwhp/469rwtq, 11.16 @ 124.95(hit 1-2 limiter) www.erikz.org
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
ezsvt,

I can go you one better. I was ready to sign for a Mazda 323 back in 1987. I called the dealer and said I would leave work at about 4:30, pick up my mom (who had to cosign for the employed, but no-credit history soon to be college grad) and I'd be there around 6PM, so would they have the car, and paperwork ready, would they be open, etc.

Sure,

So I drive my heap (a 1975 Buick Century) to get Mom, pick her up from work, and drive back to the Mazda dealer.

Closed!

She suggests that we visit one of her clients (she was an ad rep for a local paper)

So I buy a Chevy Beretta that night, and called the dealership the next day and let them know that I didn't need to buy the car from them, since they said they would be open and weren't when I showed up.

And you know what, back in the late 80's the Beretta was compared favorably to BMW 3'ers of that day, much like the Contour was during it's heyday.

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by 96SEMAN:
I was somewhat taken aback as was my wife so we left without even a test drive,looks like
I will have to consider going to another dealer in another city before I'd buy one from them.

If I were you I would go on the test drive, haggle with him for hours over options..waste a whole afternoon of his prime selling time..then say: "Well, the good news is I want to buy this thing. The bad news is, I don't want to buy from YOU because you dissed the Contour"...

Then pop the hood, point at the Duratec, and say "does this look familiar"..

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
A salesmans lack of knowledge unbelievable at times. My father asked me earlier this year to help him purchase a Marauder. So we head down to the Mer/Lincon dealership and start talking to the salesman. Well he was cool and let us have it for a test drive(ohhh what a test drive That car can move) But during the whole thing he would try to tell us about the spec and history of the car. Well lets say 90% of it was wrong. He was like " yeah this things goes just pefectly fitted with that 5 speed auto trans". Well the car was a 4 Speed. Next " and those are 18 inch mag wheels on there". They are 17's. We pop the hood and he says "look how big the heads are on this thing" and he's pointing to the throttle body lol.

But i have to say i envy my fathers Marauder

RamMotorsports Lowest prices on SPEC Clutches and Flywheels
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Some car salesman are knowledgable, some are not. I think he was trying to cut down your trade-in value.

Anyway, I had a nice experience last summer when my wife and I were shopping for her car. We were cruising through a used car parking lot in my SVT and a salesman stepped in front of my car so I had to stop. Then he knocks on my wife's window and I roll it down.

"You guys need any help?"
"No thanks. We are just looking."
"What are you looking for?"
"Maybe a small four-door."
"You going to trade this thing in?"
"pshhhh. No."
"Come on man. I need some cars for the high-schoolers."

At that point I rolled the window up in his face and sped off. I was trying to get his foot with my rear wheel but he kinda jumped back.

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I think you should call this salesman and give him the address of the present thread:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=373324&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1#Post374372

He will know what we think of him and PERHAPS he could get a measure of his ignorance!

Captain Bart 1999 Black/Midnight Blue SVT #1949/2760 Built on 04/20/1999 Received on 05/07/1999 Sold on 08/03/2006
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:

Then pop the hood, point at the Duratec, and say "does this look familiar"..

i dont think it would - the UIM is different i think?

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Hell, my husband and I had a friggin salesman tell us to "have someone steal" our Explorer when we tried to trade it in.

This thread makes me wanna go to a Mazda dealer and have a little fun with em.

2004 Ford Freestar V6 Boogity Boogity Boogity, Let's go racin Boys!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I just recently came from a Mazda dealer in N. OKC and I got exceptional help and service. The salesman knew from the start that I was only there to see what they had to offer and get a feel for how some of their cars handled and felt. He spent 2 hours talking w/ me about various cars, letting me test drive and look over every square inch of them. Got to look really closely at the RX-8, drive a Protege 5, and then got to drive the ever so 6S 5speed and have a little fun...
This guy was above par knowing I wasn't driving one off the lot that day. I even spoke w/ the sales manager and commended them for the service I recieved and how well I was treated. I'm leaving to move to AZ the end of this week and told them my time frame for purchasing a new car and even if I end up staying in AZ for long term, I'm still going to purchase one through this particular dealer when that time comes, all because of how I was treated. More than I can say for other dealerships who just want you to purchase something now or get off the lot... This just helped put the mazda 6 back up at the top of my list of considerations.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 2000GreenTour:
Not all of em are sharks, I met one at a local Carmax who actually was an car nut, and owned an Audi TT coupe.
I'll go back there when I need a car.

Still, Mazda dealers act as if they are so above Fords, but forget that Mazda is controlled by Dearborn. In fact there would be no Mazda 6 if it were not for FoMoCo.

there'd be no *mazda* without Ford. who do you think keep the company afloat during those dark post RX-7 pre-miata days

'00 Black&Tan SVT #616 of 2150: ST200s/custom exhaust/lots o'audio... Mi Gatica-FOR SALE '04 Focus SVT Sonic Blue with Euro pkg '05 S60 R : 300 HP of Magic Blue/Nordkap/Graphite 18s/6 spd
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard