Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
Is there any OTHER paint we can repaint our cars with besides Dupont?? How about Audi or BMW paint, I heard they were top notch??

It's not necessarily the fault of the paint (see my post above). The general cause of checking/cracking is excessive basecoat film builds (paint thickness). The desired film build is influenced by multiple parties.

Also, Audi and BMW use the same brands of paint as everyone else. But being more exlcusive brands attuned to the desires of the customer, they tend to use the best of what the paint suppliers have. Also they don't skimp on material usage. Although I can't say for sure, I would guess they scrap a larger portion of their cars at the assembly plant for paint problems due to strict quality control guidelines.

'99 Black SVT Join the SVTOA
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
I think the spider cracks are black specific

FYI- Look about five posts above yours. See that big red picture? lol

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
No, it is not abuse, and it is not just black. It seems to be most dark cars built in KC. A friend of mine purchased a black LS from the same dealer about one moth after me. He lived in an apartment and never washed his car. My car Dark Satin Green was washed and waxed regularly. My car developed cracks and his didnā??t. The difference? His was built in Mexico and mine in KC.

I tried to put together a class action and even got names of other owners with cracking. The one thing all the cars had in common? All dark colors built in KC.

ssmumich00, check your assembly plant, I donā??t see the proudly built in KC sticker on your windshield.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Mercman, what happened to the Class Action? I would be willing to participate or even lead the action.

1998 SVT Contour E1, Black (Mine) - Winter 3.0 Project 2004 Sentra SE-R SpecV (Wifes) www.SuperHawkForum.com
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Mercman is right - my 98 SE is dark green, and was built in KC, and is spidering bad. I love my Contour, except for the crappy paint. In addition to the spidering on the hood, roof, and trunklid, I now have paint peeling on the rear bumper behind the wheels. Since I bought the car used, I do not know the car's repair history, so I'm not sure if I can blame Ford for that. Since we're on the subject - how much should a complete paint job cost if needed?

1998.5 SE Sport - V6, 5sp, no mods - yet......
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
A complete paint job is about $4k here in NY. As far as the class action, I could not find a NY lawyer willing to take on Ford. We have nothing but slip and fall guys around here. So unless I got hurt from the bad paint job, forget it.

I would still like to get Ford to at least paint my hood and roof, perhaps a lawyer from another state would be willing to take our case?

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Mine sucks also and I take very good care of it. I asked my dealer about the cracks and they blamed it on me and I quote "you probably drove through something on the road and thats why your paint is cracking. I laughed and left

98.5 black svt
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
this is a MAJOR problem with '94ish ford probes, There is actually a petition with a couple thousand names on one of the probe boards. But its FORD, they only care if 65% of us are happy. Thats why I swear Im on my last Ford vehicle.

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
My black 96 is starting to have a single spider crack on the rear of the roof, i expect it to spread rather quickly now. I have seen alot of black fords with horrible top side paint.

1996 Zetec MTX NO Mods it's only a matter of money now though.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ProudSVT:
I'm not so sure on that. I've only heard of SVT's doing it.

ProudSVT,

I've got a 1998.5 SE Sport with the same defect in the paint.
Spider cracks in the hood, roof and trunk.
The cracked paint is actually starting to 'lift up' and'curl'.
nossvtcontour has a Red 1995 SE with spider cracks in his paint also.

The next time I go into my FORD Dealer for service, I am going to bring this to their attention.
They know how I take care of my car, and they know that the car ALWAYS comes in clean for service.

We'll see what the FORD REGIONAL SERVICE MANAGER has to say about this.

Mamisano,

I'm with you on the Class Action Lawsuit.
We just need to find a lawyer who in interested in representing us.
This will be a major case.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard