Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
OK i just repainted my car and i phiscaly did all the prep work. I cam e to find out that the reason it spider cracks is not because of the paint, but because of the clear coat, for, my car, ford used too little and its also possible they used too much hardner to cause the clear coat to dry to fast. Which in turn it did not set right so the heat from the engine causes the paint underneath to spider crack.

After i preped it i took it to my friends shop, and they confirmed how thin the clear coat was. I left the hood un sanded and had them sand it. in the area about 4 to 5 inchs fomr the left and right edges of the hood in 20 seconds of sanding we were talking off paint. In the middle of the hood it took 2 pads to get throught the clear coat. and this was 400 grit sand paper the thinest to use.

So it really has to do with the clear coat, Becasue in the areas it took the least to go throught the coat it was spider cracking on my car.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by BURNTU2:
My understanding is Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are all using the same paint, primarily DuPont. I don't know if thats who they were using back in 1998, but blame the paint manufacture, not ford.

There are 3 major paint companies, PPG, BASF and DuPont. I can't speak for Ford or GM, but the largest supplier to the Chrysler is PPG by far (9 of 13 plants in N. America).

As for who is to blame for film builds (paint thickness): it is a combination of the corporate materials, the paint company and the assembly plant. The paint company defines ranges of acceptable film builds based on certain criteria. The materials group dictates to the assembly plants what the film builds should be. Then the plant is responsible for applying that amount. Without knowing what the specifications are for the film builds, it is tough to place blame.

As for me, my car does not have any cracking but it does have a record number of paint chips in the hood. The next new car I buy better have a powder coat primer.

'99 Black SVT Join the SVTOA
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
The fact remains that my car was only two years old when the paint started cracking. Ford flatly refused to even offer to split the cost with me because the car had 39k miles. So you can blame who you want for the bad paint job, but Ford can only blame themselves for poor customer satisfaction and declining sales. Just look at my shiny new Subaru and the fact that I wonâ??t even look at a Ford product to replace the Myst. As much as I wanted a new Mach 1 Iâ??ll pick an RSX-S- instead.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Is this the problem we are all speaking of? This, as you can see is T-Red, '98 48K. Hood, roof, trunk lid.
Once I really started looking at these spots I started noticing more spots.

'98 T-Red SVT #4290
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by ChriSVT:
Is this the problem we are all speaking of? This, as you can see is T-Red, '98 48K. Hood, roof, trunk lid.
Once I really started looking at these spots I started noticing more spots.

Looks like a bad case of SVT herpes to me.

1999 CSVT-Black 15.8@89mph Driver for hire. PM me.
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Yet another black svt with a horrible paint job. Even worse is when they repainted my back passenger-side door they painted right over the ding guards which left a ugly stripe when I took them off.

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
ChriSVT, yeah that is what I am talking about. It is Almost that bad on ALL the horizontal surfaces of my car.

1998 SVT Contour E1, Black (Mine) - Winter 3.0 Project 2004 Sentra SE-R SpecV (Wifes) www.SuperHawkForum.com
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
You guys must abuse your paint, because I didn't wax until maybe 2000 (which means I bought the car new in June '97, so like 3 years) and it was garaged throughout it's time course, and I have NONE of those problems. My hood has some chips from the drive down from MI to TX, I have a handful of scratches and some chips on the bumper from having POS Ford repaint it (what a joke, it chipped in the first month). . .

Is there any OTHER paint we can repaint our cars with besides Dupont?? How about Audi or BMW paint, I heard they were top notch??

D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
I think the spider cracks are black specific. Which is a shame because it's the nicest color on SVTs. Mine is Amazon Green which is dark as well but paint looks good (except scuffs on rear bumpers - my fault). Have not seen a bad green or silver.

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard