Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
After reading about everyones experience with the TSS sensor, I'm not sure if that's my problem.

Basically, my drive is normal for about 5 minutes but after pulling away from a stop the tranny shifts to 4th and then slips, grabs, releases, downshifts and then slips and grabs some more, etc. I go for neutral, pull over, and check the fluid which is clear and full. I pull away and things are normal until I hit 4th or maybe when it was going for TC, and then it starts slipping/grabbing again. I ease up, coast to a stop in neutral and then take off again. The tranny has been fine for the last 11-12 miles around town and several short errand stops. (WTF?)

Does this sound like a TSS related problem or possibly the range sensor? (What/where is this sensor ???) Any ideas, suggestions, or related experiences will be appeciated.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
I would not think your problems have really anything to do with the TSS. Actually, if you read Hightowers original post and then Fastcougars first post in his "1-2 Bang Shift Gone" thread, you will find that the bang shifting that they are talking about it a harsh shift that happens from first to second at almost WOT conditions if you release the throttle just before the shift into second. All the the clams of smoother shifting are just what I call "profit claims". That is not to say that I don't believe any of them, because I do. But this is not why the subject was first brought up. The reason I call them "profit claims" is because not only did they solve the original problem, but also was able to see improvments in other areas as well.

Now, for your problem, I would have to go with the range sensor as my first guess. No other reason I can think of for your tranny to shift from 1st to 4th like that.

Here is a picture I posted a few days ago that might help you locate the range sensor...

... it is in line "A" item "280". On the tranny, it is located on top, just under the water pump. That should give ya a pretty good idea.

Also, check my links page for some more technical articles. I know that I have a link to a ASTG search that I did. That link contains several articles that covers a lot of detailed info on the CD4E and on article inpertecular that covers troubleshooting the range sensor. If you have any problems finding it, just give me a holla and I will be happy to find it for ya.

Oh yeah! Did it set a CEL or anything when this happened?

[EDIT]Oops! I forgot to put the link to my links page... [/EDIT]

Last edited by unisys12; 07/31/03 10:10 PM.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Start with an enhanced scan for soft codes. Without actually looking at and putting a gauge on your car I can only guess.

Worn TC bypass or regulator valve causing a severe drop in line pressure during attempt to apply TC clutch.

Generally low line pressure.

Electronic problem, Range sensor, Solenoid pack, VSS, TSS, wiring problem or EMI from bad electronics.

Like I say, start with a PCM scan and see if itâ??s happy.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Thanks for the input and excellent advice! I picked up a new TSS because the dealer was on the way home and it was a cheap enough 'guess' to try out. I'll swap that out tonight, do a tranny flush and then get as many codes out of the OBD1 as I can and pick up a range sensor tomorrow if the tranny is still misbehaving. After about 15 minutes of driving the trannny behaves completely normal. I'll post any significant updates. Thanks again!

T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Quick update: After changing the TSS sensor and putting in fresh fluid there is a slight improvement, but it's not back to normal I'll be checking out some of those articles on the unisys links page tonight, but I'll stop by the dealer in the morning get a range sensor. If it's still not right, I'll put the old TSS back in and hope for the best... Thanks again for the help!

Here's what the original 95 and new TSS sensors look like.

Edit: From the jumper/light blink test, it looks like the only CEL code was MAF related. It seems the banging around of the engine twisted the MAF completely off of the intake tube.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
DING DING DING DING, Looks like we have a winner! Picked up a range sensor at dealer for about $25. Installed the sensor and went for a brief test drive and the tranny was shifting flawlessly. Thanks again for the technical info and advice which was right on target and extremely helpful! (What a relief ) CEG is the greatest web resource on the planet

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard