Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Both manifolds are listed at $1600 and seem to be readily available for $1100-1300. My dealer booked 4.4 hrs to do both manifolds.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Got quote from oefordparts.com... They're quoting me $690+$75 core charge (refundable) for the expensive side, plus shipping. The other side is just $225+ $75 core charge more. So 4.5 hours for both manifolds, heh? Wonder how much just one would cost? I can have a local mechanic help me put it in...

Thanks for the offers... I'm NOT a wrenchhead... I don't even change my own oil. This is a commuter car... Used to commute 100 miles a day with this car... Never gave me any problems until the water pump died, and once the ignition cable burned out. Other than that, the car was completely trouble free.

So I just need the expensive side? Or should I bite the bullet and order both and have them both put in together? Or just put in the MSDS headers on this old engine and rely on the main cat to pass? Remember, CA SMOG 2 is coming...

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I didn't want to take time to register with www.oefordparts.com to confirm your quoted prices (since I use www.fordpartsonline.com for comparison prices, no registration req'd)) but the price for cheaper front side seems too low, should be about $500. Don't understand why there is a core charge - your source may rebuild them or it maybe to ensure recovery of precious metal from catalytic.

Please note that labor I quoted was for warranty chargeback to Ford and was from an experienced Ford shop. Mechanic there told me it took them over a day to do their first one a few years ago. Also they do from under car and drop sub-frame a little to improve access to rear, rear also a little longer to do due to EGR pipe. I'd assume a 2/2.4 split.

Personally I'm considering only the rear at this point since there is no real labour penalty from doing them separately - probably 1/2 hr since y-pipe has to be removed each time. I am also going to be checking price/availablity of used '99 ones ('00 not available here) as time permits at www.car-part.com , you may wish to do the same.

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Wondering out loud (OBD II), are we going to be able to keep up this clean air thing or are going to put food on the table?
Is it a quality of parts thing or just an overpriced nightmare we are all getting forced into or on ourselves?
What's even worse there is no quality public transportation that the major of us can rely to get us to work.
It almost seems as if that, whoever (not sure where to point the finger) has the prime oportunity to mine every last penny out of our pockets?
Can you imagine what these Hybrids are going to be like?
The automobile did give us freedom, but is this price sustainable.
No wonder the europeans are embracing those 2.0 Turbo diesels I read somewhere, Ford Forcus and Pt Cruiser for that market.

Paul
N8BUU

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by F111D F:
Wondering out loud (OBD II), are we going to be able to keep up this clean air thing or are going to put food on the table?
Is it a quality of parts thing ....

Perhaps we have to learn to do both, eh? (note spelling )

Re the parts quality. Yeh Ford seems to have saddled us with poor pre-cats and the '95/96 recalls did not seem to teach them how to improve the later years. Burying cats in manifolds leads to an expensive maintenance item that, like FWD tranny or engine failure, can cause an other wise good car to be junked at, say 8 yrs, when repair cost exceeds value. Not necessarily environmentally friendly when you consider all aspects.

p.s. Your prior post to me on another thread hereby appreciated & acknowledged.

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Odd, very odd. I was driving tonight home from the airport... Then I realized something looks different on the instrument panel...

CEL is GONE!

Whatever the problem was, it has apparently solved itself.

Nice car, nice car... You get a good carwash tomorrow...

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Listen carefully and you'll probably hear your CEL saying: "I'll be back..."

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
No one seemed to mention that this may be just a marginal O2 sensor (or both) on the rear bank. I'd try that first before messing with the manifolds. O2 sensors should not cost you more than ~$80/ea.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
C
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
C
If the car is originally a California car, you should look at the "California emissions warranty" booklet that came with the car, you might be able to get them to eat some of it. I cannot remember if it is though 100k or 70k in California in '96.
Good luck.
--Ken

96 Ford Contour SE MTX, SVT exhaust, KKM intake, SP Motorsports slotted rotors, KVR pads, SP5000s -Stereo sucks
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
jsut to let you know... i also have a 95 se mtx and i have the gutted pre cats with the high fow cat. I live in NY and there emissions laws are jsut as tough as CALi. I passed even with m ycar running like crap due to the wire harness being all cracked and etc.... So if yuo are worried about that (not passing) don't worry and go for either headers or gutted pre cats.

HaHa You Watching me? Keep Watching
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard