Okay, let me see if I understand the problem properly...

1) There are 2 precats (in the manifold), and 1 main cat (under the car), right?

2) Any/all/some of them could have failed, thus giving me the CEL and the code. Right? Since I don't feel any difference in the engine, it's probably NOT clogged or blocked...

3) There is no way to know WHICH ONE has failed other than "replace them all" or "trial and error". Right? If I know WHICH ONE has failed I can just replace that one...

4) I'm in California, so most of those "discount cats" don't apply to me. :P They all say "except Cal models". Any one know replacement cats in California?

5) One of the options is the REMOVE the 2 precats and rely on just the main cat. Is that right? And hope it'll pass the emissions test? If not, then replace the pre-cats? Or is that just going to double the labor since they have to open the manifold twice?

6) I searched oefordparts.com and they quoted about $160 for the main cat. That's reasonable. I can have someone else install it. But they don't list the pre-cats, just the exhaust manifolds. Is that like included inside or something?

Last edited by Kasey Chang; 07/09/03 04:36 AM.

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...