Hey Jeff,
I'm going to bold my reply answers as I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything when I replied to you. Thought it might make it easier since you had a few more suggestions then I was expecting.

You said:
Start by checking for codes (engine/tranny) When I was checking the Plug gap I forgot to reconnect the VCT Solenoid and got a 1380 code (VCT Solenoid Valve circuit Short or Open) plugged it in and no more codes since!

Heres what I would check,

You suggested:
The ECT and the Temp gauge sensor.
Please forgive my ignorance but what is ECT? It has been awhile since I have worked on my own car.

Since you just changed your t-statā?¦ Air trapped in the block. Will be checking this, but don't think so.

Elec cooling fans Both of these kick in while idling.

Radiator external clog (plastic bag stuck to the front)
No plastic bags or other obstructions.

Radiator internal clock (flow test)

Engine running to lean or vacuum leak (should set a code) As I said earlier no other codes and it runs very smooth.

EGR valve stuck closed (you didnā??t disconnect it did you?) (Should set code)
Didn't disconnect the EGR Valve but will check to make sure the previous owner didn't either.

Head gasket It's running pretty smooth and I don't seem to have any coolant leaks so I am thinking it is OK.

Torque converter or tranny slippage (should set code)
Tranny seems to be in good shape no slipage or any other anomalies so far. Will be getting a closer look at it in the near future though as I want to change fluids and filter, and screen.

I appreciate your input and will check on those things that I have overlooked. Would appreciate any other ideas you might have as well.

Thanks Much!
CC

1998 Contour GL Tan, Vetec 2.0L DOHC, ATX