Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
Originally posted by Josch:
First of all, a starter motor doesn't come anywhere near even close to 10 hp.

The larger ones do.

Yeah ok, let just go salvage a Caterpillar starter off a D-12 Earthmover, and then you can put 2 big batteries in your trunk to spin it up and create your boost, and the instant you floor it (and your WOT switch engages the motor's solenoid) and your batteries rapidly drop in voltage as your motor spins up to speed, then your alternator (if sized correctly) will put your same 10hp load on your crankshaft thru the alternator belt as it tries to keep the batteries charged. If your alternator is too small (like stock amperage), it will just full-field your alternator for a long time to try and charge your batteries and will overheat and likely fry the diodes in it.... Ok, (you think) why not just rig up a simple WOT switch to shut off the field current to the alternator (shutting it down) for while you get on it?.... so then after you put that on, you floor it and watch your voltmeter drop down to 10 volts as the boost kicks in and your ignition system gets very weak and combustion becomes less complete (especially at the higher rpms when you need the hottest spark under those boost conditions). You don't believe me? Try it and see....on a backyard budget even? Even more impossible. Automakers couldn't even do it. Big diesel engine companies really could profit from this method if workable. They still can't figure it out either. And you hope to acheive this on a shoestring budjet?

Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying so hard to reason with the unreasonable

But if you DO do it and succeed, then you can market it, sell it to all the automakers and big diesel companies, get rich, and then come back here and laugh at all of us here and you can tell the world how wrong us stupid skeptics were

'95 CONTOUR SE -Enkei 16s -SVT wannabe -Dual escapes w/ 2 1/2" stainless tips -True LED taillight conversion -Audi Xenon Projector Retrofit -Mp3 deck, dual 10s