Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
$800? It sounds soooo much cheaper to just add two more pounds of boost instead...

Boost (and power) cost money. It depends on how long you want your engine to last. An intercooler will help your engine last longer, and let you run more boost. Is it necessary? No, but it gives you a saftey window. The cheapest Zetec I've found around here is $600.

Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
Okay I have another question. If one is going to lower one's compression ratio with a thick head gasket, is there a selection of thicknesses available so you can pick how much you want to lower it?

Who sells them?

Presumably lowering the CR would solve the detonation problem, no?

I don't know of any being sold, but I am sure your local machine shop will make one for you. As a ball park figure, I would make it 3x as thick as the stock head gasket, but don't quote me on that. Lower compression will help with detonation. The most important thing is proper tuning. You can get away with a lot of boost with few mods, or you can blow your $5000 engine up in 30mi. I have been casually researching turbos for a couple of years and the more I know, the more I realize I don't know.

Contour--It will make a master mechanic out of you! 95 LX MTX Bolt-ons 95 Neon SOHC ATX 77 Dodge Powerwagon-more displacement than my Neon, Contour, and wife's Saturn---combined!