Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I'm driving down the interstate in the middle lane and decide to pass a truck. I'm at about 70-75 and open the throttle. Everything's normal for about 5 seconds, when all of a sudden there is nothing...
No throttle response. It almost seemed like it was out of gear and hitting the rev limiter. The engine is still running, but I'm going nowhere fast. I put the car in neutral and get in the right lane (after letting the truck get past me, and just before I got ran through in the other lane) and coast off a very conveniently close off-ramp. By this time the car had died on it's own. I started it back up to get on a side street where I could safely pop the hood.
Checked all fluids, and all was as it should be. Checked plugs and wires, and they were fine. Started the car up and it was running like nothing happened. I decided to test it again from a stop, threw it in D, mashed the pedal, and the same thing happened. I was able to finish my journey on a less congested and safer route with no further incident. On the way home, however, it did it again.

Help! frown

Ride: 2000 T-red SE
Beats: Kenwood 316S, Alpine MRF200, Orion XTR 6.2, Coustic 400SE
Mods: CTA, Magnaflow exhaust, SVT Instrument cluster, Knuaberized doors, side markers, F***ed up painted headlights.
P
P
Check your battery cables and terminals. This sounds just like what I just had happen the other day. Turned out that my + battery cable terminal was broken and had intermittent contact. Felt like the car hit a brick wall when I tried to go WOT to get on the interstate. Fine the rest of the way home (at 60 MPH at low throttle). Similar thing happened the next morning, except this time the windshield wipers came on. That screamed electrical problem and I spotted the busted cable terminal. 74 cents (at NAPA) and 5 minutes of my time later I was good to go.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
B
B
  Is this an automatic or a manual tranny?

{I do hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email address.  Remove the string ?HatesSpam? from the email address ?BobHatesSpam@blaylock.to? to email me.  No advertisements.  Spammers will be dealt with very harshly!}
-------
Moonlight Blue 1996 Mercury Mystique GS , Zetec engine, ATX.  No mods. (Well, OK, one mod.  Before I got rid of my previous car, a 1994 Tempo, I swapped radios.  I liked the Tempo's radio better.  That counts as a mod, doesn't it?  I also kept one of my Tempo's wheels to use as a spare.  I hate those stupid ?compact? spares that come with modern cars.  Does this count as a mod?  If so, I guess I have two mods.  Replaced burned/melted blower switch and connector on 19 February 2002 with a 1P3T toggle switch from Marvac and a Molex connector from Rat Shack; I guess this now makes three mods.)
T
OP Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Blaylock:
  Is this an automatic or a manual tranny?
ATX Zetec.

I don't know if this is pertinent, but I'm at about 48k on the odometer...

Mods: CTA, Magnaflow exhaust, SVT Instrument cluster, Knuaberized doors, side markers, F***ed up painted headlights.
T
OP Offline
T
Ummm...All I have to say about this is
CEG Rocks! PA3L, thank you! I didn't even think of this. I was dreading some sort of mechanical failure, but I went outside, popped the hood, and whadayaknow? The thicker red wire running into the engine had worked it's way loose. It was still in the hole in the battery terminal, but it was easily pulled out. It had some melting on the rubber covering too, so I'm thinking it has sparked quite a few times without incident before this.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

R
R
DUDE...YOU ROCK !

Pete...

98.5 SE Sport Duratec ATX (P66L)
Black Clearcoat on Greystone
DOB 11/21/1997
DOP 12/25/1997
PIAA 510 Super White Driving Lights
SVT CAT-BACK EXHAUST (No Resonator)
DiabloSport Chip (LPQ4) - Engineered To Raise Hell
Too many other mods to list...
Sounds sweet, runs quick...
Crazy Horse Dyno @ 121.4 WHP/129.6 TQ
T
OP Offline
T
It brings a tear to my eye.

P
P
I never even thought electrical until the wipers came on the next day. The whole way home the night before I kept thinking "What was that, what was that WHAT WAS THAT???" Worried that maybe one of the S-AFC wires has come loose or that I had busted the motor or something. Funny how you always think apocolypse when a $1 part is the true cause.

Anyway, glad I could help. cool

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
K
K
Wow! Good job PA 3L SVT the engineer.

Why do you think it occurs at WOT, though?

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760
91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus
Victoria, BC, Canada
T
OP Offline
T
It's from the awesome whip-like backwards thrust when you punch it in a Zetec! :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard