Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Rara:
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
Ya, but they look beter, so they must work better.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I completely neglected the "bling factor".

My bad, carry on . . .

Ha Ha...wait, WTF?

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
The only thing(s) I replaced were the pads and rotors. Every time I bought rotors I bought pads. Never changed or flushed the brake fluid. All it took to warp my stock rotors was to slam on the brakes at high speed (won't say what speed). I have done the same to C/D rotors (more than I can count)and nothing. Still on the car now and still not warped. I am talking out of my experience. I don't know if they work for the SVT...but they worked for my car.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
You can lead a horse to water . . .

You do realize that pads alone can be a dramatic difference in both feel and performance, right? Not to mention that the cast iron used for the rotors would have been of different compositions.

Repeat after me, it wasn't the cross-drilling that helped so much . . .

Its kind of like saying pickles alone make a hamburger taste so much better because you had a plain White castle burger, and then you got a burger at say, Red Robin, with pickles on it. You aren't making an valid comparison.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M

Its kind of like saying pickles alone make a hamburger taste so much better because you had a plain White castle burger, and then you got a burger at say, Red Robin, with pickles on it. You aren't making an valid comparison.

Mmmmmmm...burger......

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Loco,

I still don't see where you take into account the change in the base rotor itself. I bet if you had the same exact rotor, but not cross-drilled, you would see there is little difference between the two. If anything, I bet performance would be slightly better in the non cross-drilled if put to rigorous scientific tests.

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The only value added aspect of the drilling that could contribute to the overall stopping of the brakes is the 'self cleaning' aspect of the holes to the pad surface. Same as adding the slots to rotors. This helps vent the boundary layer built up between the pad and rotor as well as contributing slightly to wiping the pad clean as it goes 'round.

Still, any gains in brake torque are far more likely due to pad Cf than any holes or slots.

Did I mention they look cool?

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M

Maddening, ain't it? Let's talk about...strut tower braces!

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 â??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by MFE:

lmao, "but, I can FEEL it making it andle better . . ."

back to the rotors, at least our resident brake vendor only touts the one true benefit of cross drilled rotors, unlike vendors at other sites . . .

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by MFE:

lmao, "but, I can FEEL it making it andle better . . ."

back to the rotors, at least our resident brake vendor only touts the one true benefit of cross drilled rotors, unlike vendors at other sites . . .

Baer and Stoptech are two other companies I know of who are glad to 1) give you the real info, and 2) sell you cross-drilled stuff anyway (because it looks cool...).

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard