Originally posted by BBorges:
Originally posted by unknown:

Could someone post a pic of these retainers, I am not sure what you speak of.

Same here !!!!!

I'm gonna check these retainers.. but I have no heck idea what u guys are talking about

Is it something I am supposed to remove ?? If so, how come it is there ??? And if I remove, will I have any kinda problems ?

Take off a wheel. Look at the wheel mounting face. If there is anything around any of your lugs, take it off.

On the factory assembly line, these thin, washer-like things are threaded onto two studs at each wheel, to retain the rotor in position while the car moves down the line to get calipers and wheels put on. They serve no purpose once the car is assembled, and cause no harm because the stock wheels have little cutouts so they'll seet properly against the rotor hat. Nobody notices until they put on aftermarket wheels, which don't have the little cutouts.

Another problem I had once was that the centering rings that came with the wheels didn't seat properly in the wheel's center bore. They would not stay put, so I ended up putting them over the hub, and then mounting the wheel. I doubt they were ever seated properly, and I don't think the vibration ever went away completely. My Tire Rack wheels came with rings that snapped into the center bore and stayed put.

HTH.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998