Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#620038 05/07/03 02:26 AM
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Are you running SS lines? if so what make?

Woz 2000 Contour SVT #136 Black with Blue leather 30% tint all around 12.2" Wilwood Billet NDL PS: I hate ALL Ford Dealers
#620039 05/07/03 06:52 AM
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by woz:
Are you running SS lines? if so what make?

Todd supplies Earl's S/S lines with his kits.

dion 98 SVT, 200 whp/190 lb. ft tq (tuned by ADC), 3.0, P&P heads w/2.5L valves, optimized TB, MSDS, SCA 2.5" catback, SHOshop UIM/LIM, underdrive pulley set, TD's, Koni/H&R, BAER/TCE, Progress, CF1 products
#620040 05/10/03 12:38 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Rick

One question for you, on the rear brake lines, did the fitting that attaches to the hard line, coming from the chassis, have an end to which you could clip back to the chassis? Just wondering as mine don't and I am going to reuse my Aeroquip SS lines instead for now. The supplied Earl's and my Aeroquip lines are the same length too so no issue there. I may as well just reuse my Aeroquip on the front too, as they are a matching set, are also the same length as the Earls, and have the rubber grommets to affix them back to the struts.

Other than that minor detail, these kits are a masterpiece. I like it.

#620041 05/10/03 02:32 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Hey Chris.....I may com harss you soon to test and see if my wheels have any clearance issues with the Superlite calipers. I doubt it...but It will be good to check first. You'll have to take me for a spin once they are broken in.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
#620042 05/10/03 03:20 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
that is an awesome setup, one day i will have the money$
one day......

Mike 98 Silver CSVT Prod. # 6291 Built. 6.3.98
#620043 05/11/03 03:03 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Click here for more pics. Scroll through the thread.

#620044 05/12/03 12:19 PM
B
Learned patience the hard way
OP Offline
B
I actually just left my other stainless lines in place on the rears. On the front, Todd's fit a bit differently than the other's plus I had to take them off to get the caliper off so I went that route.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
#620045 05/13/03 04:54 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The question of retaining clips threw me for a bit, but upon further look-see, the stock rubber hose has no retaining clip on a male/male hose so the Earl's hoses are the same.

I'll have to check the male/female ones and see what they show.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
The question of retaining clips threw me for a bit, but upon further look-see, the stock rubber hose has no retaining clip on a male/male hose so the Earl's hoses are the same.

I'll have to check the male/female ones and see what they show.

As per our email conversations, there are fittings with the stock and with Aeroquip SS lines to facilitate the clips. Here are a couple of pics.

Hey Rick (or anyone else that has this kit), I have a question for you. Do you recall what type, and how many of each, bolts and nuts used to fasten the front and rear caliper brackets? My kit only came with 4 bolts and lock nuts for the front, which needed 8 bolts and nuts. The rear kit came with 8 SS button head bolts and 4 lock nuts, which only needed 4 bolts and nuts. The stock rear bracket had to be fastened to the bracket extension using the stock torx bolts, then the SS bolts to hold the new bracket to the spindle.

On the front, there 4 large black hex head bolts/nuts used to fasten the front bracket to the spindle, but that's where the problem started. I was short 4 fasteners for the front. I had to use 4 of the SS button heads, left over from the rear kit, and supply my own locking nuts, to fasten the front caliper to the caliper bracket.

Now the next and more irritating part of the install was the Earl's brake lines. The front ones, and I don't care what length is claimed, were too short. During the install, we had to leave the hard lines off the body and dangling, to attach the new lines and caliper only. Needless to say, when the wheel was fully turned, the lines would stretch, pull on the hard lines, and also touch the tire. Not a good situation. I kept the Aeroquip lines on the car as these were already the correct length and had all the proper fittings.

On the rear, the lines were shorter than Aeroquip lines and the chassis end of the Earl's lines does not have the fitting to facilitate the fastening clip. I kept the Aeroquip lines, again, becuase they have the accomodations for the clip and are the correct length.

After the amount of $$$$ spent, I am pleased with the result, even though these problems existed with my kit.

B
OP Offline
B
Chris,

The reas kit used 8 bolts and 4 nuts. The bolts with nuts held the bracket to the hub and then the other 4 bolts went into the caliper (those are the button head ones). On the front I beleive there were 8 bolts and I can't remember offhand how many nuts.

As far as your front lines, the problem is you've got your front bracket in upside down. It will fit and the caliper will fit both ways, but with it upside down your new front lines are about 3" too short. Take a look at the position of the caliper in my pics and you'll see the difference. I found this out after I installed my first caliper and bracket upside down. Oh, and it makes reaching those dang nuts a lot easier too this way!!

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard