The 3L Duratecs are more dependable than the 2.5 ones are, by far. The 3L's larger counterweights keep the factory bearings in place and the water pumps on the earlier ('00 and older) had a better water pump design, while the '01 and newer ones are new enough that they have the white plastic water pumps. The white ones are far better than the black ones are, at least judging by the failure rates of the black ones vs. white ones anyway.

Also, a note on the Camry vs. Sable debate you're having... The Camry is "all new" this year. We have one as a rental right now (fiancee's car was in an accident). The Camry is a decent car, but power, comfort, and ride are all better in the Sable/Taurus, at least in my eyes. If you still don't like the Duratec, get one with the Vulcan FFV drivetrain and save some bucks.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."