Originally posted by blury:
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
I don't see what's so bad about Jackson Racing's supercharger...

Because there is no adjusting that can be done to the boost without new pulleys. there is no intercooler for them and no Nitrous set up (that i know of) for them yet. Plus they weigh about 3 times that of a full turbo setup and cost the same. Im just saying turbo = more power for same money and is a little bit more driveable than the SC just a little not much. Plus you can go Small or big turbo whenever you want. If you eant a small boost you can but later on if you decide you want more you can adjust or change turbo units a lot cheaper than the SC

First, changing pulleys is hardly a big obstacle, is it? And screw superchargers actually tend to produce extra boost that has to be bled off by a relief valve, do they not? I'm pretty sure the Kenne Bell designs do that.

And as for cost, I think it's been settled in past discussion that a typical no-frills TC setup is likely to cost about $1000 more than a JRSC, even if the first price you see on paper looks closer. The fact that you don't have to mess with the exhaust manifold and downpipe saves a lot of hassle.

Being limited to lower boost levels is no problem if you've decided in advance that you don't want to rebuild the entire engine at huge expense.

I still dream of making an electric compressor powered by a starter motor. Like a SC without the belt drag on the engine (especially if you use an alternator cutoff). Unfortunately one would need, like, a 400 amp motor controller, and those ain't too cheap...

Oh how I wish that standard car electricity was like 48 or 96 volts instead of 12.

Hell, if I listen to my wallet the thing to do would be to just stick NOS in it without bothering to develop the engine's potential first.