Originally posted by revrev:
Drumbo,

Quote:

Didn't you also have some numerical stats in the original? Or am I confusing your post with another?

Must of confused me with another post. I am writing from my work computer. (successfully avoiding being productive yet again ) Anyway, I don't have any of the bookmarks from my home computer. I have seen some hard data over the years, but I don't think I have ever posted any.

BTW, I read some interesting stuff this week about Mobil 1. In Europe, they say it is a go on extended drain intervals. They don't say that here. Seems that the way oil is classified in Europe requires extended drain intervals to get the highest ratings. Here in the US, it is not necessary, so Mobil doesn't say anything about it. The oil appears to be the same stuff. The only reason Mobil doesn't talk about extended intervals (like Amsoil does)is to encourage people to change their oil more often.

Because of the different oil ratings the average drain interval in Europe is about 10,000 miles. In the US its 5000 miles. Same oil. The difference is that in Europe the engine manufacturers control the specs. They want longer drain intervals to reduce maintainence costs on their cars. In the US the oil maunfacturers control the specs. They want short intervals so you will change your oil more often.

I had been using the extended drain intervals with Amsoil, but wasn't so sure with Mobil 1. I'm thinking I'm comfortable with 10K with the Mobil 1 now.

Richard

Very interesting. If Mobil 1 can actually handle extended drain in normally-aspirated engines, that would be good news.

Are you going to have the M1 analyzed when you dump it at 10K? That would give you -- us -- the answer.