Originally posted by MondeoST24:
Here in Oz we get 5W50 Mobil 1 - trying to get anything else is like finding hen's teeth! I take it you guys don't get that viscosity range in the States? My only option was to buy 0W40 Mobil 1 and only direct from the distributor in a 20litre drum for nearly $300- not likely

After doing some research back when I bought the Mondeo new I decided it wasn't a wise decision to use the 5W50 and have changed to another brand of fully synthetic oil.

While I agree oil is important, I've had two engines self destruct on me from timing belts snapping prematurely (no, not Duratecs). So while it is great to use the best oil you can it is sometimes more prudent to spend money in other areas on preventative maintenance!

In the case of the Duratec maybe substituting "water pump" for "timing belt" would be more appropriate.

Yep, no matter what the marque, it seems every car has an Achilles Heel ... For example, the Osborne-like family of computers on the mega-dollar 2003 7-Series BMW's. I'll never understand why ANYONE buys a car in its first production year.

In the USA, Amsoil (the best synlubes on the planet IMHO) has the most comprehensive line of lubricants -- engine and otherwise -- I know of. But, since the Mobil 1 5w-50 is a multi-vis, that should cover you under just about any condition -- assuming you don't spend too much time tooling around the Outback in the summer, where that 50 weight might kick in.