Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Thanks for the info.....I should have know, but i guess i just didn;t think.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Don't know about the UR one, but I know the asp UDP is prone to wear a groove in its face, causing a crank seal leak. Steel, like membership, as its priviledges...

Marco Tatta 98.5 SE MTX, Duratec EGR block, indiglo gauges, custom shift boot, monsterflow intake, Quasi dual cardoctor exhaust. Hacksaw short shift, Momo race s carbon knob, ghetto rear strut bar, 16 inch cougar wheels with 225/50/16 kumho 712s
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Thats exactly why the UR has a steel surface for the seal to ride against.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by mangler:
Don't know about the UR one, but I know the asp UDP is prone to wear a groove in its face, causing a crank seal leak. Steel, like membership, as its priviledges...

you ever wonder why the ASP one cost half as much as the Unorthodox. hmm.. I always believed you get what you pay for.

eric

L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by mangler:

Ummm, that could just be the source of my oil leak. I was starting to think they didn't put enough RTV sealer on ...

98.5 SVT now gone ... new wheels = 2005 330i
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Originally posted by FlechaAutoSports:
seriously though, is there any documented engine failures due to a stock/udp crank pulley, I really want to know, not just being sarcastic.

I really was not being sarcastic....I think it is an unknown.

Basically, if bad crank harmonics WAS a problem, the main or rod bearings would presumably be damaged and spin. But I do not know that it is possible to tell from engine tear down WHY bearings spin. Low oil pressure may give a similar pattern of bearing wear (because crank whip really results is misdistribution of the oil film). There were changes made to later Duratec oil systems as well as the DMD and oil starvation issues may play a role. About 2 years ago, I thought it was all oil starvation and did some research & took a pole on CEG. Only about 1/3 of the spun bearings occured in setting where you would expect starvation..low oil or hard right turn. Now, maybe the damage occured earlier and was not associated wth events at the time. Soon after, Judge (who work at the OEM damper supplier) reported engines were lost on the test stand (with controlled oil delivery) and that crank whip was suspected..which ultimately resulted in the DMD.

So anyway, thats what I have learned & hope I got the details right. Judge/other correct me if I am wrong.

Bearings do spin in Duratecs..just not clear if it is crank whip, oil starvation, or as one CEGer has proposed the weak nature of PM rods.. Personally, I think a combination..crank whip in some cases, others seem clear cut oil starvation. But, thats is speculation...and I conceed it is possible that DMD will not protect engines. But, there are other ways to improve revability without lossing the DMD. I have the aluminum P/S steering pulley (1 pound lighter and 15% underdrive..makes a noticable dif..also UD alt pulley avail and electric H2o pump..though expensive0

Please elaborate on the PM Rods.

Thanks

Geoff C. Turner 99 Black SVT -mine 99 Blue SE V6 ATX -mom's 96 Black SE MTX -sister's All with 278mm front rotors
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
PM rods = "powdered metal" rods = sinter forged rods. Stonger than cast rods (used in many domestics), weaker than billet rods (used in some high po cars, Forced induction typically). One knowlegeable CEGer suggested that the stretching forces were altering the shape of these softer rods causing them to contact bearings assymetrically inducing wear (if I understood him correctly). Not saying this is real...it was a therory proposed.

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I just finished installing the DMD.
I took my car for a test drive and I really didn't feel much of a difference.

Maybe I just need more mods on the ol car.

98 SVT E0 T-Red E1 engine resonator removed K&N w/ MAF adapter 20% tint Ford Trans. cocktail Ford 9mm Racing Wires DMD
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
While we are reviving this old post, I think this stuff on weak PM rods is a load of bunk.
The powdered metal process was introduced to make complex parts with the same physical properties completely through the part. There are many advantages to the PM part, not the least of which is resistance to distortion and a probable increase in fracture toughness. The powder fragments are compressed into the shape of the part and then heated up until they fuse together. They will tend to be more brittle than regular cast or forged rods. Any load that is stong enough to break them more than likely WILL break them rather than be dissipated by flexure. The cast and forged rods can bend a little more elastically to spread out the loading of the force.
So, powder metal parts should be able to offer superior properties to cast rods, but ultimate strength is still less than that of good forged rods.
If this means anything, then it is highly unlikely that distortion of the rod is causing the bearings to spin.

Maybe they just need to increase the detent tab on the bearing that locks in it place within the rod?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard