Originally posted by FlechaAutoSports:
seriously though, is there any documented engine failures due to a stock/udp crank pulley, I really want to know, not just being sarcastic.

I really was not being sarcastic....I think it is an unknown.

Basically, if bad crank harmonics WAS a problem, the main or rod bearings would presumably be damaged and spin. But I do not know that it is possible to tell from engine tear down WHY bearings spin. Low oil pressure may give a similar pattern of bearing wear (because crank whip really results is misdistribution of the oil film). There were changes made to later Duratec oil systems as well as the DMD and oil starvation issues may play a role. About 2 years ago, I thought it was all oil starvation and did some research & took a pole on CEG. Only about 1/3 of the spun bearings occured in setting where you would expect starvation..low oil or hard right turn. Now, maybe the damage occured earlier and was not associated wth events at the time. Soon after, Judge (who work at the OEM damper supplier) reported engines were lost on the test stand (with controlled oil delivery) and that crank whip was suspected..which ultimately resulted in the DMD.

So anyway, thats what I have learned & hope I got the details right. Judge/other correct me if I am wrong.

Bearings do spin in Duratecs..just not clear if it is crank whip, oil starvation, or as one CEGer has proposed the weak nature of PM rods.. Personally, I think a combination..crank whip in some cases, others seem clear cut oil starvation. But, thats is speculation...and I conceed it is possible that DMD will not protect engines. But, there are other ways to improve revability without lossing the DMD. I have the aluminum P/S steering pulley (1 pound lighter and 15% underdrive..makes a noticable dif..also UD alt pulley avail and electric H2o pump..though expensive0

Last edited by Dan Nixon; 04/02/03 08:23 PM.

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)