Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by {Kontofosho}:
That was on a 400hp car though, i'm sure higher hp amplifies the effect. Not to say we wont gain hp, i'm just saying any hp we may gain will be minimal.

Forget about the 400 hp car.

The point of that article was that real engine builders, who are religious about weight, add weight to the damper to gain power (in that case, about 15 lbs). Period.

Now, the main purpose of the DMD was to reduce NVH, and the weight difference between it and the stock damper is pretty minimal in comparison. Does the DMD, specifically, gain power? That seems to be undecided still.

Does the PCM care? Yes, because unlike springs and struts, it is a critical engine component that can affect the valvetrain. A few guys here have thrown CEL's after DMD install.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
You know, I've gotta stand up here and support Flecha's comments. When the whole DMD thing started getting talked about I too got caught up in all the talk and bought one and got it installed at Ford. I took the ASP UDP off and put this on. As soon as I drove off it honestly felt like I was carrying a carload full of people. It's like he said, the revs don't rise as quickly and there's not the 'snap' throttle response when you tip into the throttle ... needless to say at the first opportunity I too put the UDP back on and sold my DMD. The change in smoothness was also minor as mentioned. Obviously others have had different results, but mine were not of the positive kind ... and ya I know about the crank whip thing ... that's my opinion.

98.5 SVT now gone ... new wheels = 2005 330i
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Thats undersatnd able......but i read on he that they were comparing it to the stock pully, not hte UDP....so a power loss on your end is the price you pay for the peice of mind that you won;t spin a bearing....Now its also up to you if you want to put it back, but you should have been aware that the DMD power comparasons were to the stock pully.

There is a common misconception that the DMD is better than the UDP power wise...that is not true...it is a better stock replacement.

Good luck with what you chose....

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
When I'm going to go w/ the DMD, i'm probably going to try and couple the DMD w/ the alt & power steering pulley to offset the difference... I would think that would help.

99 T-Red SVT ***Intrax, Bilsteins, Azenis, Offroad Y, CAI, Tint, Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Grilles, Poly Mounts, Silverstar Bulbs, 100W Ion Fogs, Focus SVT Wheels, SHO UDP, Ford Racing Wires ***
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
How old is the Contour now..98+ I think there are a few people with tons of mileage on them, me for one. Has anyone ever had their V6 duratec contours blow up specifically due to either the stock dampner or UDP?

I've asked this question countless times and I again ask this question once more.

I installed my UDP back on last night and am a very happy camper now.. my car even turns on quicker with the UDP, and the throttle response compared to the DMD is instantaneous.
These are MY opinions, My recommendation: buy the DMD because you know what, you'll get that "reassurance" knowing that just because everyone in the world puts one on you have to as well.

Conformity= soooo exciting

Eric

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by FlechaAutoSports:
No way in God's green earth is there someone going to tell me I didn't lose power (significant power) going from a UDP 12.9oz to a DMD 1 billion lbs.

i didnt realize the DMD was THAT heavy...

--Chris-- 1999 Silver Frost SVT #1671 of #2760
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
oops..did I say a billion.. I meant 7 lbs..

sorry

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
My SVT "survived" 140,000 miles without a DMD.

1998 SVT
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Baby SHO:
My SVT "survived" 140,000 miles without a DMD.

NOOOOOOOOO... how dare a duratec engine survive that many miles without a DMD? I don;t believe you..no way no how!

I'll give you piece of mind.. piece of mind of a lighter wallet...LOL.

Baby SHO, I bet your were terrorized every night about when your engine was going to blow due to the lack of a DMD.

Eric

O
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
O
It's not fair to compare the UDP to the DMD. The DMD is not an alternitive to a UPD. The reasons for DMD have been explained in mass so we won't blah blah about all that.

Also you didn't really lose power since your car stock didn't have the UDP. So with the UDP you then gained hp over stock. Going back to the DMD there is little difference in HP over stock.

So...

MY NEW HOBBY...RUINING CHRIS CROFTS LIFE...
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard