Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
well, I'm interested, I just don't know what I'm getting into, so I guess I'll just wait as information develops. . .I've been reading about cam modifications, and they're pretty tricky, and I've seen power yields of only about 10hp or so on other platforms, so I'm just confused and lost about what gains are potentially expected, the loss of durability from regrinding cams (Which I assume will decrease durability since you're taking away metal on an engine part, which will increase heat transfer, etc.), and how much installation would cost (and would I need to rebalance my block and get it blueprinted?) My nanner is asleep as well. . .

Suneil

S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Well the gains I'm talking about are from a 3L hybrid that is built to soley take advantage of the new cam profile. This would be based on NEW cams, not reground versions. If you are looking to just slap the cams in a stock 2.5L with no mods to support the new power band......then don't expect to get a whole bunch of power from them.

But the cost of these cams should keep those type away.

The only issue with cam regrinds is the thickness of the harden skin. As long as we don't penitrate it, we're golden. I know my last post was a "spooky tale", but I wanted to demonstrate why we need to do as much research as possible to avoid those types of nightmares. But the re-grind is our last option. I think we're going to be able to get new cams made, so that's where I'm focusing on.

Bottom line for new cams,

They aren't going to be cheap,

This isn't going to happen over night,

and

If we can't get something that is worth the $$$$.....then it's down to a regrind of the cams (SVT) for regrind. I will be "donating" a set of SVT cams for the first set if that is the case. If that goes badly, then I loose out on a perfectly good set of SVT cams and this GB ends with shame.

So, before I do anymore with this GB I would need to know who is still serious enough to follow through.

I'm doing this one way or another, and other duratec owners that are looking to do the same would make it more likely to happen (for new cams to be built).

I know I'm not the only one here that wants them, so if there is any chance to get them......step up to the plate and help me make it happen.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I guess I got my answer

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
depending on the price and time they would be done if possible i am interested.

2000 svt black quaife diff indigo gages koni 5 way adj. struts. intraxx 2" lowering springs 18" ASA 5 star(powder coated white) with yokahama parada spec 2 injen intake fidenza flywheel 65mm thro. body ur underdrive pully
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
I am..... depending on the price

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Cams aren't really in my how-to knowledge base, and the price is a little too steep for me . Thus, I cannot consider myself a serious "in." Though, I'd love to be in on this...

Possible persuasion point: Would these help low end or high end power?

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
See, I think cams would help NA2.5'ers in the upper rpm region, so that's why I went from TOTALLY serious, to interested depending on price, because it's a big decision since changing cams limits your future FI projects. But you can't say, since NO one knows how these cams will be done, if we'll need a reflash PCM to compensate for the difference, etc.

bottom line for me, and this may sound ignorant: if I can get up to 20hp from this, I would do it and forget about FI'ing my car, because an NA engine is 200X more durable/reliable (considering number of moving parts, heat, etc.) than an FI any day.

Alright Nanner man, let us know. . .I like your night out, BTW. . .

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
20 hp would be amazing, and considering the fact that I've spent 1000+ on exhaust components alone, cams could be a big bang for the buck!
I don't have any plans for FI. If the engine goes kaput, I'd go 3.0.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
OK, let's do it this way-

I'll keep at it and if the option of new cams arises, then I'll setup a new thread for a GB on them. If it comes down to a re-grind, I'll use my 2nd set of SVT cams as the first sacrifice. Under the idea a sucsessful re-grind, I would setup a GB for that as well. I would also have both of my sets done and probably would have a set for sell.

In either case, the new cams would affect the whole power band from my understanding. So there wouldn't be a upper or lower end power increase, it would be a modified power band overall. If it's a re-grind, it'd be basicly a mod'd SVT cam and if they were going in a well ported head matched with a DH SVT UIM or a 3L UIM, custom chip, ect, you could easil ysee 15-25 hp increase, if not more when teamed up with the rest of the upgrades to run the cams correctly in your engine. Keep in mind you should be pulling the engine when installing these to do it right.

If we get new cams, they'd be cut to our choosing! DemonSVT has expressed interest in helping with the cam profiles in either case. This is where your NA 3L Hybrid would be running with the S/C'd 2.5L & 3L's, but with more TQ. There is heat treatment and cam gears we have to worry about also.....

But I'm working all the details out and am running different avenues to get something done. I think we have enough to get something done so I'll just keep you guys posted on any new news as I have been. I'll try to get some estimates on the prices A.S.A.P .

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Im still interested, if these come out around the time im ready to put the 3L in this summer and if I have enough cash left.

99 SVT Silver with Blue Stripe "To each his own" www.SVTContour.org
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard