Next Thread
Print Thread
#582872 03/24/03 06:18 AM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Got a question for you guys!!!. I've been running mobil syntec oil for the last year and was curious if it really makes that much of a difference between this and just the normal oil??? I've been wondering because I dont want to be spending money on stuff that's not going to help my car or anything. I've read some post and heard of some poople saying that sythec would acutally hurt your car because of the particles, and it would cause earlier leaks anyone have some suggestions???

1997 T-Red Contour V-6 MTX It HaS BeGuN!!!!!!!!!!!
#582873 03/24/03 11:57 AM
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
This is a common question about synthetic, does it make your car leak or not? It is possible due to the fact that synthetic is refined better, therefore its thinner. I've put synthetic in my past (3) used cars before I bought my Tour w/o any problems of leaking....ever These cars all had over 80K on them too, keep that in mind. By the way, seeing that your all the way up there, you are running 0w30 Mobil 1 right?! Also you may wanna run the Mobil 1 filter to go along with it. I run my synthetic for 5K, then change the filter only, add a 1/2 quart and then go another 5K and then do a complete oil change As you know or may not know, synthetic doesn't breakdown like regular oils do, therefore you can run it longer and most people do just that, thus saving time and money, a win, win IMO Also I see that your Tour has an MTX, don't forget to change the gearbox over and yes, you can run Mobil 1 ATF, 3 quarts of it. Most oil change shops have the machine that sucks the dope out of the rear ends and this car be used to evacuate your gearbox. Then they'll use that pump to put the new fluid back in. I changed my car over to this at 6K and then changed it again at 26K, a bit much to some but I believe in keeping it clean and fresh all the time, cheap preventative maintence

Last edited by The Striped SVT; 03/24/03 12:01 PM.

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
#582874 03/24/03 01:35 PM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
if your engine leaks dont even bring it near your car, especially with the duratecs and the spun bearing problems. I spun a bearing on my rebuilt engine before i did my second oil change. i only put 8k on the engine before i had to replace it again. I dont think the problem was only from the synthetic oil but it was my first and last time using synthetic.
BTW the engine went because mechanic's error and leaks that didn't go to well with the thinner oil.

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
#582875 03/24/03 02:40 PM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by trujap:
Got a question for you guys!!!. I've been running mobil syntec oil for the last year and was curious if it really makes that much of a difference between this and just the normal oil??? I've been wondering because I dont want to be spending money on stuff that's not going to help my car or anything. I've read some post and heard of some poople saying that sythec would acutally hurt your car because of the particles, and it would cause earlier leaks anyone have some suggestions???

I look at it this way - I've never heard of one single case where synthetic oil HARMED an engine (minus additional leekage), and many claims that it indeed benefits the engine. At least the extra money buys me some peace of mind, whether it's hype or not I don't know and I really don't care.

A mechanic friend once told me "You don't need synthetic oil - that stuff is for race cars." Well, that's my point. If it can stand up to the abuse a racing engine dishes out, then it can certainly put up with the abuse a street motor hands out. I'm sold.

1999 Red / Tan SVT #1969 of 2760 Built 4/21/99 K&N, DMD, FMS Wires, ES Insert / Bushings, PF End Links 17" FSVT 5-Spokes Factory Spoiler 35% Tint All Around
#582876 03/24/03 02:48 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
hmm.. this is some really good advice thanks alot guys. In regards to roger R, I was curious if i've never had change the gear box fluid to my knowledge would it harm it if i changed it know??? I have 160K so ~100miles.

#582877 03/24/03 02:49 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by abwamo:
if your engine leaks dont even bring it near your car, especially with the duratecs and the spun bearing problems. I spun a bearing on my rebuilt engine before i did my second oil change. i only put 8k on the engine before i had to replace it again. I dont think the problem was only from the synthetic oil but it was my first and last time using synthetic.
BTW the engine went because mechanic's error and leaks that didn't go to well with the thinner oil.

What kind of engine oil do you use>?

#582878 03/24/03 05:43 PM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
when i ran synthetic i used Quicker State 0W30.
now its whatever Kentwood Ford uses, not too sure about the brand but i know its 5W30. I got an 8 oil change package deal for $100 a year ago, that works out to $12.50 per change. cheaper than buying the fluid & filter and doing it myself.

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
#582879 03/24/03 11:57 PM
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
I can't see why it would be bad and if anything it will shift alot easier, especially up there in Edmonton wheres its cold for like 360 days a year or so Just kidding, I'm sure its more like 300, LOL. I hear its really nice up there, the northern most pro sports city

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard