I don't have the article - were they only seeing increased hp numbers from extending the revable limits before valve float? If so, this is completely different from gaining hp from reduced friction and doesn't mean anything to Joe contour who isn't revving to valvetrain limits anyway.

Also, did the article talk about ignition timing scatter at all? I would think that at high rpm's you could possibly get better power from reduced scatter of the crank signal - but I have no clue how much that would buy you - if anything at all.

On the UDP thing - I would guess that an underdrive alternator pulley would have very marginal benefits as the load of the alternator is pretty much dependant on electrical draw - it may be spinning full speed but there will be very little resistance (ie free wheeling) when there is no electrical load. Now if you underdrive the fluid pumps (PS or even w/p) I would guess there'd be measurable gains from lower pumping speeds.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT