Originally posted by fordcontoursport:
Is the timing cover easy to remove when the engine is out?? Is it too big or something?? I don't want to swap heads so that's why I asked you about the waterpump. I'll probably use the 2001 3L block. What is the purpose of the electric waterpump?? My mom has a 2000 taurus with the 3L duratec and the waterpump is in the same place as the 2.5L. It's run off the camshaft. I didn't see any wires hooked up to it as far as I know. The upper intake manifolds seem to be tall, will I still be able to close my hood?? Do I have to do some fabricating on the heads?? I really don't want to swap any major parts so that's why I asked.

That must be a very late 2000 Taurus to have the newer water pump location. All 2000's I've seen have the 'other' water pump location, which isn't off of the cam. It's off of the front timing cover area of the engine.

The timing cover is fairly easy to swap out after removing the pan and all accessories.

If you use the 2000+ blocks, they have oval port cylinder heads. You can't use the 2.5 intakes without major head port modifications and a custom adapter to mate the twin circle ports of the 2.5 intakes. Not fun. The easiest swap is the hybrid, using any 98+ block and 2.5 heads.

The after market Davies Craig electric water pump (available at BAT or through Terry Haines) comes into play for those wanting to run a '98-'00 3L block with 3L heads that have the wrong factory water pump location for the CDW-27 application. Place the electric water pump near where the factory 2.5 water pump is located. Some water line fabrication is also required.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."