Originally posted by fordcontoursport:
Warmonger. I have a question man, do all 3L duratecs have electric water pumps?? I want to do a srtaight swap with mine. Why do you have to use the 2.5 timing cover?? Do I have to use the 2.5 heads?? It's a non-SVT.I know I have to change the oil pan and the pick up tube?? How long did it take you to install the motor??

Man, are you ever confused!

1. Electric water pumps are after market only. Ford OEM water pumps are similar on the 2001+ 3L, but then the oval head ports require the 3L intakes to be used, or adapter plates to be made for the 2.5 intakes to fit, of which both options take some fabrication. Using a 2000 or older 3L requires the electric pump if you're keeping the 3L heads because the water pump is in a different place on those years. If you use the 2.5 heads, you can use the factory 2.5L water pump.

2. Timing cover from the Taurus won't fit. The 2.5 one is needed to keep all of your factory accessories, like power steering pump, alternator, air conditioning...

3. No, you do not have to use the 2.5L heads. As described above, as well as in tons of threads found using the search feature, you will find that you have many options to decide on that will dictate which heads you use or which modifications you need to run which style of heads.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."