Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#564479 03/10/03 07:40 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by RogerB:
Allow me to add to the negative.

If you want the max light output, get the Sylvania Xtravision. It's the same bulb and internal gas charge of the blue-filtered Silverstars without the light-filtering blue coating,

Roger,

NO no no...

I seriously wrestled with whether I should buy SilverStars or not, because I thought they were just a coated version of Sylvania's other bulbs.

So I wrote an email to Sylvania and got a technical explanation back. Cool Blues and SilverStars share a special filament and higher gas charge to offset the filter. Without it they'd be illegal. Sylvania tech admitted that this combination will likely yield a bulb that does not have the same life span as a "normal" bulb, because the filament is wound tighter.

The XtraVision bulbs, while they may produce the same amount of lumens, due so through a more conventional bulb w.o the filter.

I can't absolutely say that XtraVision lumens are higher or lower than SilverStar, they wouldn't answer that question. But they're a brighter bulb internally, and for me that was 'good enough'.

Brian Dors
1999 SVT

#564480 03/10/03 09:39 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
OK. I stand corrected, at least in part.

What we know now, though, is that we don't really know anything about total lumen output (horsepower) of Sylvania's offerings, but we have the extra glare and scatter of "blue/white" light to make us think we have more (a la "butt dyno").

Regardless, total lumen output is still the only measure that matters. Not "color temperature."

And the Philips Premiums still put out more.

Light vs. hype. You choose.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#564481 03/10/03 09:50 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by bxd20:
I can't absolutely say that XtraVision lumens are higher or lower than SilverStar, they wouldn't answer that question. But they're a brighter bulb internally, and for me that was 'good enough'.

No offense, but the coating is a big factor. I could paint a bulb black, and it won't put out anything. But it will still be brighter internally.

I don't wan't to slag the SilverStars too much because I know a lot of people on these boards have them, but in researching them with an eye towards buying a set, the Overboost.com article I posted before and the other information presented make me want to hold on to my cash.

Now, does anyone here know where I can buy the Philip's Premiums in Canada?

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#564482 03/12/03 12:34 AM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ETayrien:
humans arent the first ones with eyes, you know. its not like we evolved them from scratch.

So, you're pretty much convinced that there's no real difference between the human eye and the eye of, say, a housefly ... ?

And especially a housefly with a driver's license ... ?

#564483 03/12/03 01:17 AM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Drumbo:
Allow me to add to the negative.

If you want the max light output, get the Sylvania Xtravision. It's the same bulb and internal gas charge of the blue-filtered Silverstars without the light-filtering blue coating, or the increased scatter and glare of "blue" wavelength light (esp in bad weather.)

Better yet, get Philips Premiums, $30/pair from http://www.autooptiks.com/front.htm. Even more light output, and available in high and low beam.

There is no inherent advantage to high "color temps" or blue-white light, and "looking brighter" doesn't mean it really is brighter.

But, if you want that fashionable faux-HID look, the Silverstars are an OK choice. Get the Cool-Blues if all of your friends have them, and you want to be laughed at by anyone over the age of 25.

Making a fast-pass of the Autooptiks Automotive Lighting Info webpage, right away, the first thing there that made me say "Hmmm?" was this:

"...the human eye has evolved over billions of years."

One billion can also be expressed as 1000 million. The earliest known humans date back no more than two million (.002 billion) years.

The fact they positioned a bogus, over-hype statement in the front of their "Info" page makes me wonder which other elements of their "test-data" may have been similarly exaggerated. Bottom line is, it damages the credibility of all the information that follows.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The only information I quoted from that site is the price and availability of what is confirmed elsewhere as a very good bulb with no blue-white hype.

Fair enough. I make no bones about what you said.

In fact, the reason I immediately followed your link to autooptiks was because your post was totally in-line with my skepticism about gimmick bulbs.

Although my "math lesson" may seem like nit-picking, having once been in advertising, I assure you, when you're trying to sell something, the first thing you learn in Copywriting 101 is: Don't blatently insult the intelligence of your target-market.

Ad-jabber about humans being on the planet before the sun ignited screams two things: (1) BUSH-LEAGUE OUTFIT!! and (2) CAUTION! BOGUS INFORMATION AHEAD!!

Bottom line: My criticism was directed at autooptiks' over-hyped sales pitch, and not at your well-intentioned information.

Drumbo

#564484 03/12/03 07:24 AM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
okay, i've had a few nites of driving now with the 9005 silverstars in the lowbeams...first nite i wasn't sure i liked them but now i do...seems that they've gotten a little brighter since that first nite...most likely its because i've gotten use to the color of the light...very good imo, much brighter than my stock sylvania 9006 bulbs i put in last summer and much better peripheral vision so to speak

but now i seriously need better bulbs for the fogs...the brighter headlights make my fogs look like nite-lites

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
#564485 03/12/03 01:03 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by gdub520:
but now i seriously need better bulbs for the fogs...the brighter headlights make my fogs look like nite-lites

Replace the fogs bulbs with a 885 series bulb this is what I have been told.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
#564486 03/12/03 08:29 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
i was going to do it last this past monday...i stopped at a schelp boys to pick up a wrench or two and was gonna get new fog bulbs...the only 3 packages of 893's or whatever the stock bulb is had been opened (an autozone last week tried to sell me silverstars from behind the counter that had been opened too )

i was gonna upgrade to the brighter bulbs but couldn't remember the number...maybe now i'll go find a pair

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard