Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by RogerB:
There is a chart on this page:

http://hanker.tripod.com/headlights.htm

Although it shows the same lumen rating for "Cool Blue" and "Silverstar," so I have to believe that the tint is somehow unaccounted for.

At any rate, compare these to the Philips Premium, and you'll see which is the better value.

how about these Narva Range Power bulbs? are those available for the tour?

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
just added a pair of 9005 silverstars to the lows on my car last nite...my regular -who knows how old- sylvania highbeams look brighter (although much more yellow obviously) for a short distance....

but the stare like a deer into the headlights test seems to show much more intense light from the silverstars

haven't had a chance to see them in action on the road so we'll see tonight

now i gotta mail that rebate coupon

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
The highbeams will look/are brighter. The lows have a cutoff shield built in to reduce the glare to oncoming traffic.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ETayrien:
There is a chart on this page:

http://hanker.tripod.com/headlights.htm

Although it shows the same lumen rating for "Cool Blue" and "Silverstar," so I have to believe that the tint is somehow unaccounted for.

At any rate, compare these to the Philips Premium, and you'll see which is the better value.

how about these Narva Range Power bulbs? are those available for the tour?

When I went looking, I think (IIRC) that the Narvas did not come in 9005 or 9006. At least, I was unable to find them. What I did find were the Philips Premiums in 9005 and 9006, and the Sylvania XtraVisions but for the low beam only.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
9005 and 9006 are the bulb sizes then? 9005 is the low beam and 9006 is the high?

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ETayrien:
9005 and 9006 are the bulb sizes then? 9005 is the low beam and 9006 is the high?

Nope, just the opposite. I only know that cause I asked the same question a few days ago in a totally different forum.

Hey, I go to Sylvania's website to get that $10 coupon, and everytime I try it just locks up my computer...what gives? Anyone else having this problem? I just got my Silverstar 9005's today, can't wait for the sun to go down. Those little plastic things are a pain to file down.

Current - 2005 Evolution VIII Prior - 2002 VW Passat W8 Prior - 1998 T-Red CSVT GOLIATH - RIP 6/14/02
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Nevermind my little $10 coupon problem, I figured it out. Turns out when you reformat your hard drive then try to read a PDF file without FIRST downloading Acrobat Reader, it doesn't work so well.

Last edited by DRIDGE11; 03/10/03 12:03 AM.

Current - 2005 Evolution VIII Prior - 2002 VW Passat W8 Prior - 1998 T-Red CSVT GOLIATH - RIP 6/14/02
#564476 03/10/03 02:55 AM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Allow me to add to the negative.

If you want the max light output, get the Sylvania Xtravision. It's the same bulb and internal gas charge of the blue-filtered Silverstars without the light-filtering blue coating, or the increased scatter and glare of "blue" wavelength light (esp in bad weather.)

Better yet, get Philips Premiums, $30/pair from http://www.autooptiks.com/front.htm. Even more light output, and available in high and low beam.

There is no inherent advantage to high "color temps" or blue-white light, and "looking brighter" doesn't mean it really is brighter.

But, if you want that fashionable faux-HID look, the Silverstars are an OK choice. Get the Cool-Blues if all of your friends have them, and you want to be laughed at by anyone over the age of 25.

Making a fast-pass of the Autooptiks Automotive Lighting Info webpage, right away, the first thing there that made me say "Hmmm?" was this:

"...the human eye has evolved over billions of years."

One billion can also be expressed as 1000 million. The earliest known humans date back no more than two million (.002 billion) years.

The fact they positioned a bogus, over-hype statement in the front of their "Info" page makes me wonder which other elements of their "test-data" may have been similarly exaggerated. Bottom line is, it damages the credibility of all the information that follows.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

#564477 03/10/03 03:18 AM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
humans arent the first ones with eyes, you know. its not like we evolved them from scratch.

#564478 03/10/03 05:10 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Drumbo:
Allow me to add to the negative.

If you want the max light output, get the Sylvania Xtravision. It's the same bulb and internal gas charge of the blue-filtered Silverstars without the light-filtering blue coating, or the increased scatter and glare of "blue" wavelength light (esp in bad weather.)

Better yet, get Philips Premiums, $30/pair from http://www.autooptiks.com/front.htm. Even more light output, and available in high and low beam.

There is no inherent advantage to high "color temps" or blue-white light, and "looking brighter" doesn't mean it really is brighter.

But, if you want that fashionable faux-HID look, the Silverstars are an OK choice. Get the Cool-Blues if all of your friends have them, and you want to be laughed at by anyone over the age of 25.

Making a fast-pass of the Autooptiks Automotive Lighting Info webpage, right away, the first thing there that made me say "Hmmm?" was this:

"...the human eye has evolved over billions of years."

One billion can also be expressed as 1000 million. The earliest known humans date back no more than two million (.002 billion) years.

The fact they positioned a bogus, over-hype statement in the front of their "Info" page makes me wonder which other elements of their "test-data" may have been similarly exaggerated. Bottom line is, it damages the credibility of all the information that follows.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The only information I quoted from that site is the price and availability of what is confirmed elsewhere as a very good bulb with no blue-white hype.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard