Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by unisys12:
Anyway, since the converter locked (even if the second time) that would mean that mechanically, it is working. The solenoid is just not locking it when it is suppose to, hence the code P0743.

unisys12,

This is NOT the reason for the code.
The reason you are getting a code is because when you first start the car,
the PCM goes through a self test, and also tests and measures the resistances of all circuits.
The measurement taken on your TCC Solenoid is out of range.
This is why there is a code.
The solenoid may still be working, but to the PCM
the measured resistance puts it into a malfunctioning category.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Gotcha. I follow you on that one. Ok! Time to start shopping then.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Bigtime update on my torque converter clutch solenoid problem.

I must first though admit to my own ignorance!!

When checking the resistance across pins 3 & 4, which is mentioned above, I unknowingly was checking the wrong pins! After looking at everything, reflectively, I noticed that the connecter was upsidedown in the image of the PDF file that I was referenceing. Why this was not noted I have not idea, but it could be verified by looking at the connector in the drawing and reference the tabs located on the outside of the connecter.

Anyway, now that is overwith (taking a deep breath!), I had time this afternoon to recheck the resistance and found that it is measures exactly 2 Ohms. This verifies the confusion as to why my connecter is black! Remember, I said that the low impedence solenoid body had the black connecter and was phased out during the 95 model year. During that same year, a new high impedence solenoid body was introduced that had a beige (natural) connecter. All CD4Es from the years of 93-95 can have either solenoid body with no adverse effects. Put one of the low impedence solenoids in a post 95 CD4E and there will be problems. It also verifies what Roadrunner was telling me in the end, that the code was being generated because the PCM was not senseing the proper amount of resistance from the solenoid, hence the code P0743 once the car reached open loop operation.

So that is pretty much where I am right now. The car still runs good and gets very good gas mileage (29-30 mpg), but most importantly I wanted to get this out to everyone so that it can be referenced in the future.

Thanks again to horseydug and Roadrunner for all the help in troubleshooting this problem. If not for them, I would still not know a single thing about this subsystem of our CD4E.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Your welcome and thanks for the update.

Is the conclusion to problem that the rebuilder installed wrong solenoid?

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Exactly!

Just another reason to learn as much as possible about your car, no matter what kind it is, so you wont get stiffed. Thanks to you guys... I came out pretty good this time. Well better then most anyway.

N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by unisys12:
Bigtime update on my torque converter clutch solenoid problem.

This verifies the confusion as to why my connecter is black! Remember, I said that the low impedence solenoid body had the black connecter and was phased out during the 95 model year. During that same year, a new high impedence solenoid body was introduced that had a beige (natural) connecter. All CD4Es from the years of 93-95 can have either solenoid body with no adverse effects. Put one of the low impedence solenoids in a post 95 CD4E and there will be problems. It also verifies what Roadrunner was telling me in the end, that the code was being generated because the PCM was not sensing the proper amount of resistance from the solenoid, hence the code P0743 once the car reached open loop operation.

I have just installed a remanufactured CD4E in a 98 Contour and I am having numerous problems with the shifting. The car seems to start in 2nd gear, immediately downshift to 1st gear and then shift back to second and then to third. It does this rather erratically. Also the Torque Converter Clutch seems to drop in and out when cruising at 50 MPH. The only DTC I get is a P0743. The reason I ask in this thread is because this is a 98 Contour and the remanufactured CD4E has a black Transaxle Harness Connector and I am measuring a TCC solenoid resistance of 1.5 Ohms rather than the 12.5 - 19 Ohms specified in the Mitchell manual. I do not remember what color the connector was on the old transaxle, the core has already been sent to the remanufacturer. Do I have the wrong valve body installed in my transaxle???? Has it damaged the PCM???????

thanks

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard