Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
After watching Nova tonight, all this will not matter, even if one of those stored biological agents accidently gets released, bye-bye to life on this planet. Imagine what they didn't or couldn't tell us.

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
but if u survive, u get the bonus of being able to remove all your emissions shiz...there wont be any smog people around

Last edited by gdub520; 02/26/03 05:23 AM.

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by hetfield:
Might it be possible that NY is different from WI? Or is emissions more federal?

NY and CA are the strictest in the USA for setting Emission Limits that your vehicle must pass.
The Federal Government sets one level and it is up to the states to accept this as a minimum
or enforce a level that is tighter than the Federal Limits.

Because of the number of vehicles in NY and CA, these states chose to enforce a tighter regulation,
in order to reduce atmospheric pollutants.

Now, I don't know what the connection is between codes and emission testing, but the last emission testing devices I saw,
and I haven't seen a treadmill setup yet, did NOT connect to your vehicle via the DLC connector.
They connected to the battery, spark wire, and tailpipe.
The Ground through the tailpipe was enough to insure that emission samples were taken from the same vehicle.

In NYS, emissions are tested at IDLE, 55MPH, and then at IDLE again.
IIRC, guys please correct me here if I am wrong, the vehicle being tested has to be DRIVEN, prior to the test,
to insure that all emission related components are at operating temperature.
You just can't start the vehicle and let it idle for 15 minutes before testing.
It has to be DRIVEN for the duration.

Unless you have a CEL, there is no reason for anyone to connect a scanner to your car and diagnose a problem.
If you car doesn't pass, they are obligated to tell you what didn't pass.
They should NOT be telling you what caused it not to pass. They can offer you a diagnosis/repair
but that offering and information should be SEPARATE from the Emissions Inspection.
You have the right to choose who does the repairs, and in NYS, your current Inspection remains VALID,
unless it has expired, in which you can get a temporary sticker which gives you 10 days to make repairs,
and then get the car retested at the same facility for free.
Subsequent testing is at a charge.

Changing a burned out light bulb for Safety Inspections is one thing,
but then telling you both O2 sensors have to be changed and not giving you supporting diagnostics,
is totally wrong, and price gouging, in my opinion.

There are a lot of people out of work today, and the results are
people spending LESS money, and tightening up on spending for a lot of necessary things.
This affects all businesses, and makes you wonder if the repairs you are quoted
are really necessary for YOU or for your MECHANIC ???

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
I just realized something. In NY, the emissions inspectors work for garages, true? I think that's where my confusion was. In WI you have to go to a separate emissions center, where all they do is test cars. There are only three of four that I know of in our metro area of 1,000,000+ people. I think that's why there's no license or testing required: you're expected to get all that when you start your job.

Originally posted by RoadRunner:
Unless you have a CEL, there is no reason for anyone to connect a scanner to your car and diagnose a problem.

Its a required part of the test here, whether or not you have a CEL. I'm sure they do this because someone is bound to pull their CEL bulb prior to going in for testing. Then they test the gas cap for a proper seal. That's in off years; in on years you get the tailpipe test. This is all done by computer, and when its over you get a printout. If you fail, the printout explains why and you're instructed to take your vehicle to a garage with the printout. They fix the problem at your expense (bend over!) and you get retested.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
His state does the OBD-II test, which is simply (and completely) scanning the diagnostic codes. No tailpipe test at all. Coming soon to a smog check station near you (it's the wave of the future).

So, PTC or DTC and BAM! you fail. Of course, it's up to the station (and the owner) to decide how to address the problem(s).

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by hetfield:
I just realized something. In NY, the emissions inspectors work for garages, true? I think that's where my confusion was. In WI you have to go to a separate emissions center, where all they do is test cars. There are only three of four that I know of in our metro area of 1,000,000+ people. I think that's why there's no license or testing required: you're expected to get all that when you start your job.

Okay, then this explains it.
In NY, in order to have the privilege of failing vehicles on Emissions Inspections,
you have to obtain a NYS Motor Vehicle Saftey/Emissions Inspection License.
This requires taking a course and then passing a test.
This gives civilians the right to conduct State Safety & Emission testing.

Since in WI, your inspections are held at a State Owned Emissions Center,
then their employees and Inspectors are considered State Employees,
and they are trained to do the Emissions Inspection under the direction of WI.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard