Originally posted by hetfield:
Might it be possible that NY is different from WI? Or is emissions more federal?

NY and CA are the strictest in the USA for setting Emission Limits that your vehicle must pass.
The Federal Government sets one level and it is up to the states to accept this as a minimum
or enforce a level that is tighter than the Federal Limits.

Because of the number of vehicles in NY and CA, these states chose to enforce a tighter regulation,
in order to reduce atmospheric pollutants.

Now, I don't know what the connection is between codes and emission testing, but the last emission testing devices I saw,
and I haven't seen a treadmill setup yet, did NOT connect to your vehicle via the DLC connector.
They connected to the battery, spark wire, and tailpipe.
The Ground through the tailpipe was enough to insure that emission samples were taken from the same vehicle.

In NYS, emissions are tested at IDLE, 55MPH, and then at IDLE again.
IIRC, guys please correct me here if I am wrong, the vehicle being tested has to be DRIVEN, prior to the test,
to insure that all emission related components are at operating temperature.
You just can't start the vehicle and let it idle for 15 minutes before testing.
It has to be DRIVEN for the duration.

Unless you have a CEL, there is no reason for anyone to connect a scanner to your car and diagnose a problem.
If you car doesn't pass, they are obligated to tell you what didn't pass.
They should NOT be telling you what caused it not to pass. They can offer you a diagnosis/repair
but that offering and information should be SEPARATE from the Emissions Inspection.
You have the right to choose who does the repairs, and in NYS, your current Inspection remains VALID,
unless it has expired, in which you can get a temporary sticker which gives you 10 days to make repairs,
and then get the car retested at the same facility for free.
Subsequent testing is at a charge.

Changing a burned out light bulb for Safety Inspections is one thing,
but then telling you both O2 sensors have to be changed and not giving you supporting diagnostics,
is totally wrong, and price gouging, in my opinion.

There are a lot of people out of work today, and the results are
people spending LESS money, and tightening up on spending for a lot of necessary things.
This affects all businesses, and makes you wonder if the repairs you are quoted
are really necessary for YOU or for your MECHANIC ???

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net