Originally posted by fst4dr:
I didn't put anything behind my 70mm, and I dont think it leaks. Still get 9-10# of boost. I just cut the top part of the stock gasket and used that, along with a bunch of RTV

It might be leaking and I dont know it, but I think it is holding up fine. If it ever does leak, I will have to make a sheetmetal plate of somesort.

BTW, great job on the Turbo, hope to see some numers soon. With all these turbo's appearing, I think the days of us Vortech owners are numbered. Just hope Kinger and Buckshot can do us proud in the S/C vs. T/C HP war :D

Well...I don't think so.
Let me update you guys and give you some food for thought.

I did some datalogging with the emanage and learned alot!
I decided to go back to square 1 (maybe 2) and put in the 24# injectors and the stock MAF. I had dyno and Air/Fuel data with this same setup from KC MO last summer so I knew what the A/F ratio would be. All I did in addition was pull timing across the board. The car seemed to run awesome! The boost begins to build as early as 2000 rpm, but full boost comes on about 35-37 hundered rpm. This is telling me the turbo is sized exactly the way I wanted it!. No excessive wheelspin, but about the time the secondaries open I have maximum boost!! Normal driving seems the same as it did before the turbo. Anyway, the car idled good and seemed to run nice other than a few stalls and backfires related to having a blow-off valve rather than a bypass valve.
Here is a recount of the pertinent data I took on a second gear pull with those 24# injectors and the stock MAF:

-5600 rpm
- MAF voltage = 4.75 volts
- inj. Duty Cycle = 97%
- inj. pulse width ~= 21 ms.

** Oh, by the way...pressure was .5 Kg/M^2 or roughly 7psi.

So what does this tell you? Consider again that this is 5600 rpm and I have 1400 more rpm to go. It seems that the stock MAF has been max'ing out at about 300 wHP for the guys at streetflight, so you draw your own conclusions.

I decided to put in my 36# injectors and 80mm pro-m MAF in. The car wouldn't idle at all at first. With extensive adjustments using the emanage I have made them work, but not well. I definitely don't trust the tune with it so far considering I have no dyno A/F data to go with it.
It seems that the SVT computer without a chip can only accept MAF signals within a certain range before the load calculations are too far out. The pcm calculates load based on TPS, RPM and Airflow readings from the MAF. It the MAF voltage is way-off then your load calc's will be out of range and even the emanage can't help that. It seems like its time for the tweecer or a custom chip.
I have talked with streetflight to get a custom chip for 36# injectors and 80mm Pro-M. Lets see if Keyser can meet this challenge.?

Anyway, I will refrain from any real testing until I get the chip that will allow me to safely use the new components. The emanage will work on top of the chip so that isn't a problem either, but I need to get into the ballpark.

I also need to fill the motormounts with urethane to stop the engine rocking as well...the energy susp. inserts aren't good enough.

Thats all for now. I'll update some more later, I bet you all can't wait for the dyno day (though none more eager than myself).

Tom

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black