Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
#537221 03/07/03 03:47 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Does it matter? Its still a lot more than I have now.
lol
I guess it does matter. Well that is crank estimated so it would be subject to driveline losses. Actually that is the conservative estimates based on lower efficiency than my turbo actually has, and an intercooler efficiency of 70% With better numbers in those areas it is even higher but I won't list those as I am not sure how realistic they will be, especially when I am not even sure that the engine can handle that kind of power.
I don't really know what it will end up being, but I know it will be significantly higher than a 2.5L turbo, if the engine stays sound.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I know it may be a bit premature, but I am taking a break from working on the car to say that I have the turbo hooked up EXCEPT for the intake and I am running the engine to make sure there are no exhaust, oil, or water leaks. So far so good since I ran it for about 1/2 hour and not apparent problems. Lots of smoke from the piping as the coating and thermal wrap starts to bake on. All the O2 sensors are working, including the worthless #2's that test pre-cat efficiency. The sound out of the exhaust is a nice sweet rumble now since the turbo is acting as the best resonator money can buy! It sounds even better now through the pair of magnaflows than it did before with headers and no resonator. I revved it up a few times to hear the turbo spool, sounds sweet! It makes a hell of an engine compartment blower though.

Now I will begin fabricating the intake pipe and the intercooler. Hopefully it won't be too long.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
awesome! good to hear. just hope mine goes as smoothly and problem free as yours in may.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Hmmmmmm....

You didn't happen to make a jig while you fab'ed up your header back exhaust.......did ya???

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
No, no jig. I didn't fab the headers themselves, I only redesigned the piping after them and repaired some problems with them.

I have new pictures, but this post is so loaded with them that I will not burden the readers with more. I will (someday) try to make another webpage dedicated to the turbo build-up and tie it together with my old 3L site.

I have a 80mm Pro-M maf and 36# injectors to put in soon, but I was sweating where I was going to fit the darn thing because it was so damn big. I think I have that worked out so now I just have to get the intake pipe welded together to install the filter in the fender.
I found aluminum cheap on www.onlinemetals.com since I already have a spearco core so all I have to do is order in the parts and begin designing it.
My 'get running' to do list:
- install injectors
- complete intake pipe and install with MAF
- construct intercooler and install
- install blow-off valve
- plumb the vacuum and pressure lines
- install boost gauge and pressure sensor
- construct water tank for intercooler
- plump lines for intercooler/heat exchanger

Finishing touches:
- manual/electrical boost controller
- turbo timer
- A/F gauge

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by warmonger:
I have new pictures, but this post is so loaded with them that I will not burden the readers with more.

i think everyone agrees when i say

PLEASE POST PICS !!!

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:
No, no jig. I didn't fab the headers themselves, I only redesigned the piping after them and repaired some problems with them.

I have new pictures, but this post is so loaded with them that I will not burden the readers with more. I will (someday) try to make another webpage dedicated to the turbo build-up and tie it together with my old 3L site.

I have a 80mm Pro-M maf and 36# injectors to put in soon, but I was sweating where I was going to fit the darn thing because it was so damn big. I think I have that worked out so now I just have to get the intake pipe welded together to install the filter in the fender.
I found aluminum cheap on www.onlinemetals.com since I already have a spearco core so all I have to do is order in the parts and begin designing it.
My 'get running' to do list:
- install injectors
- complete intake pipe and install with MAF
- construct intercooler and install
- install blow-off valve
- plumb the vacuum and pressure lines
- install boost gauge and pressure sensor
- construct water tank for intercooler
- plump lines for intercooler/heat exchanger

Finishing touches:
- manual/electrical boost controller
- turbo timer
- A/F gauge

I can help you with the turbo timer install when the time comes. Sure, I should've made a how-to, but I am lazy and I am finding people will use it as a crutch for calling me a "Contour wannabe know-it-all" ....

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Stazi the Aussie:

I can help you with the turbo timer install when the time comes. Sure, I should've made a how-to, but I am lazy and I am finding people will use it as a crutch for calling me a "Contour wannabe know-it-all" ....

Totally True Quote!

I've seen a random post or two in the past where I was referred to similarly also.

Just so you know, I used part of your Apex SAFC when figuring out the emanage wiring. See, you are handy to have around!

I'll definitely look forward to getting the help with the turbo timer.

Hey, I'm going to build my intercooler as soon as the metal shows up...ordered it this morning. What are you going to do for an intercooler?

warmonger

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I have a 2nd Gen Eclipse IC, but it won't work with the turbo's setup. It WOULD work on the supercharger though as he SC's discharge sits closer to the radiator and points in the right direction and angle, and theres more space between the discharge and the TB. So if any of you SC boys want it, let me know. $50 and it's yours (that's what I bought it off ebay for).

I think I have to get an early Audi IC, as the inlet and outlet on the IC are on the same side of the IC and the air does a "U" shape flow through the IC. As you know the Turbo's discharge is almost on line with the TB, so it make fitting an IC hard, of course I am going air to air to save weight and I have large Cosworth vetns to allow the air to pass up and through the IC and then through the hood.

If all else fails, I have a brand new Spearco Water Injection kit I bought, too.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I would suggest getting what I purchased for my turbo is the clifford avantguard 4 alarm with manual transmission remote start and every option available and even a built in turbo timer (best clifford makes for only $380.00 on ebay new!)
I can't wait to install it just help cut down cost on turbo timer especailly if you need an alarm too. Just my two cents Later JOey

99 SVT #198 blk/blue Spec 3/quaife/stage 2 shafts T3/T4 fully built 3.0 ported heads water injec./intercooled 13.2 @ 107 mph clifford alarm and turbo timer koni struts H&R springs intercooler for sale
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard