One of the problems the state has is lack of consensus and shared values. Polarized disagreement leads to deadlock and look where we are now. Another is how the budgets are figured and funded every two years and forecasts go south in the meantime.

This a.m.'s column by Robert Landauer in the Oregonian's Metro op ed section cites a report by the "Legislative Revenue Office" (query: is that Office with Oregon? Congress? A think tank?) titled "2003 Oregon Public Finance: Basic Facts":

"Oregon's total state and local tax burden was 10.5%, compared with the US average of 11.2%. Oregon ranks 39th in total tax burden.: 38 states carry heavier loads, 11 states lighter. We're 2nd highest in state personal income tax, 18th in corporate income tax, 25th in property taxes and 50th in sales and excise taxes."

I think NO ONE should be GLAD 28 failed, but people who are broke should perhaps instead be RELIEVED it failed. Yes, there's a difference.

I'll shut up now. I promise. (cheering erupts)

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159