OK, flame me.
Fatmike: you mention how SOME state employees are to get a 3% pay raise. I talked last December with Washington County's state courthouse employees about how those who are not laid off will be subject to a 10% cutback in their work hours with M-28 going down. With courthouses statewide closing one day a week, and courts/cops figuring to not handle small claims courts and property crimes, and criminals KNOWING that, if someone breaks your driver's side window to steal your CDs, you'll be paying ANYWAY. Come on up to Portland for a concert and test out my theory.

Portland can't afford security cameras in its public parking lots. Last November, someone backed into the front passenger door of my SVT while I was parked. Repair bill: $968. Portland's thriftiness precludes me from going after the unknown jerk that did it. Figure the number of people per week that have that happen, and cameras would pay for themselves on higher taxes vs. lower insurance premiums.

Can you say "Penny wise, pound foolish"?

Qbert: Schools/cops/health care were NOT hit first. They were hit LAST. Were you out of the country during our legislature's FIVE special sessions? What's your excuse for NOT knowing what

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159