Scourge of the Master Debaters
OP Offline
H
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
Sorry to hear that your scan tool doesn't work but I don't think you needed to:

a. put the guys name here on this post and/or

b. speak about the death in his family

Most people who sell things here in the CEG, especially something like this, will stand behind it.

I think you could just waited till he got things taken care of with his family, thats alot more important IMO! If you need a code read just take your car to Autozone and they'll do it for free

Huh?

a.) The guy (Alex) is not a CEG'er. He's the owner of http://www.obd-2.com. Many people here highly recommend his scanners and software, and I don't see why using his name is a bad thing, especially since he plasters it all over his web site.

b.) He also announced his leave, and the reason he was on extended leave, very prominantly on the website. If he didn't want people to know why he was gone for a couple months, then he shouldn't have announced it to the world.

Please get your facts straight before criticizing someone.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#531551 03/19/04 07:57 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Just an update for anyone who happens to search and finds this thread...

I returned my scanner to Alex a few months ago. He tested it and found it to be dead. He shipped out a replacement under the warranty and it has been working well since. I even used it to diagnose a CEL on my parents' minivan. Alex definitely stands behind his product; consider this a shining endorsement

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#531552 03/19/04 09:15 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J

I been eyeing Alex's product for a long time.

One advantage that may not be obvious is Alex's software is 16bit, and runs on a 604x480 screen. This is great becuase it can be used on a really old laptop with minimum resoures to run the software. Don't mind geting my old clunker NEC laptop dirty, and will have a new life as a ODBII host.

Now I just need to buy one. Are there or have been any group buys or CEG discounts?

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
#531553 03/20/04 03:28 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by jborge:
Are there or have been any group buys or CEG discounts?

Somebody is working on a group buy right now

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=groupbuy&Number=560466&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
#531554 03/20/04 03:53 PM
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=diag_theory_retail&gutsid=diagsheet&menuIndex=18

Just in case you might have missed this, that pertains to using and gives an explaination or what the Ford Enhanced Pid's mean or at least what the engineers had in mind.

Actually might be able to teach yourself and myself a little more.

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
#531555 03/21/04 06:17 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by hetfield:
I'm having trouble getting my scanner (from Alex Peper) to work. It used to work, but recently I try to connect with no luck.

I reinstalled Windows and reinstalled the software, and I put my registration code from Alex in. It finds the Tricom, and it even switches the serial port when I change the serial port settings in the BIOS, so I know that's working. It doesn't get any response from the vehicle from what I can tell. Is it possible my obd-ii connector is screwed up somehow?

I'm having the same problem! My Alex Peper scan tool stopped working. It just won't connect to either my Mercury Cougar or my Ford Explorer. That seems to rule out that its a problem with a particular car, so I've been examining the settings on the computer and the scan tool. I've taken the same steps you have. I also get a "no response/timeout" error using my tricom.

I'm thinking the problem is one of two things: the latest version of the software or a cooked chip inside the connector. Unfortunately, Alex is away (again) for the next three weeks.

1999 Cougar V6 MTX Borla stainless, dual exhuast ST200 struts, rear strut tower brace Roush springs, rear sway bar, bodykit Steeda Tri/X, Powerslot rotors, Falken Ziex 512 Awaiting install: GMK CAI
#531556 03/21/04 06:51 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Replied to your PM.

#531557 03/23/04 06:17 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by gamiller:
I'm thinking the problem is one of two things: the latest version of the software or a cooked chip inside the connector. Unfortunately, Alex is away (again) for the next three weeks.

Well, the problem persists after I downgraded the software to the version published last September. I'm assuming it must be a hardware issue. :\

1999 Cougar V6 MTX Borla stainless, dual exhuast ST200 struts, rear strut tower brace Roush springs, rear sway bar, bodykit Steeda Tri/X, Powerslot rotors, Falken Ziex 512 Awaiting install: GMK CAI
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard