Originally posted by horseydug:
Thanks. That was a supplementary question I also had, you must be a mindreader.

FYI & FWIW (gotta love those acronyms ), I have Vehicle Explorer (http://www.obd-2.com) and love it. It is a little more expensive, but does a WHOLE LOT MORE. I got mine at a group buy on the Taurus boards (for 40% off list price).

As you are probably already aware, a "reader" only reads codes, but a "scanner" can do a lot more (such as read real-time values from the onboard computer). Vehicle Explorer works especially well with Fords, since it can read over 150 different values from the computer in real-time. Thus, if you have a laptop, you can hook it up and take the car on a short drive and see exactly what is happening.

There are other software programs out there that are similar, but are also a lot more expensive.

Plus, Alex Peper (the creator of the software) updates the software every month or two.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil