Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
#504 03/30/01 06:25 PM
D
D
"The best resolution to that is a baffled oil pan or a dry sump. These are both very costly and are not needed in a daily driver or for that matter your typical weekend passionate drives. There is certainly no reason to worry about driving you vehicle day to day, this simply will not be an issue."

I want to add that THERE REALLY IS A CONCERN in daily driving about oil staravtion. Since this issue came up about 9 mo ago, we have had about 9 failures, related to oil starvation/spun bearings on SVTs, that 1) were low mileage (<50K), 2)5 of the 9 were in long hard R sweeping turns on the street, 3)All reported wbeing well maintained typically with full levels of Synthetic oil. When I searched farther back about 11/2 yrs ago about 6 more similar failures came up. Not counting cars with 100K + miles or race related failures. Ive talked to Roush racing people involved with Bondurants SVT, and 2 professional SVT racers & discovered that in addition to baffels, and dispite the windage tray oil aereation was occuring and required customs screens to break it up. The Blue Oval News was/is doing a survey on Duratec failures. Please check it out. Talk to people involved in authorizing replacement engines & see if the numbers look high. If SVT can varify a problem exists it would be a big help. I would even pay for a replacement pan if it WOULDNT void my warranty. I realize that this (like the tranny problems) is really more of a general Ford Contour (as opposed to SVT) issue, but Im asking you/SVT to help as I hold out little hope for a Ford intervention.

Troy, appreciate you comming by, I was a little angry about the "priciple of" discontinuing the SVT magazine & offering the newer SVT products a better warranty deal (very important with the somewhat marginal service that some dealers offer). But, I am an avid fan of what SVE did to the Contour- its a truly excellent car & I enjoy it a great deal. I actually would buy another SVT product if it fit the bill as well as the Contour did/does.

Sincerly,
Dan

------------------
Dan
99SVT - Tropic Green
#554/2760
Stock - except minor intake, exhaust, & motor mount enhancements

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
#505 03/30/01 06:35 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by MiStEGRYM:
jjost - wasn't trying to make it personal, but your comments just reminded me to lay some ground rules thats all.
-Mark

Probably a good idea .. jj

PS: Just spoke with my Focus driving FocalJet member brother .... not sure if I should post this ...now... Ford Performance is a "sponsor" of Focal Jet.
Would be nice to get a few $ from Ford to help with the upgrades at this site, eh? jj

#506 03/30/01 06:47 PM
C
C
So where exactly should we email any details about tranny issues?

// Chris Root
// '99 SVT Black / Midnight blue (#2743/2760), new engine @5000Km, revised tranny @20000Km!
// B&M Edge Shifter w/ Mondeo ST200 knob, KKM pedals, K&N, Ray's TH Fix, Fog Mod
// Mobil 1 Synth 5W30, Ford "Gold" MTX fluid, 885 fogs, 50W Halogen reverse lights
// recontents: dash clock, Mystique rear dome light, front bumper braces

#507 03/30/01 06:48 PM
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Rara:
Thanks for your reply Troy.

FWIW, Tom Scarpello has his Contour listed for sale in our classified section, I thought that was kinda funny.

Yeah...and his area code and phone number exchange put him in Ann Arbor. Cool.

'98.5 silver SVT, #6226 of 6535,
24mm AAM "aussiebar", KKM intake, custom y-pipe w/ high flow cat,
custom cat-back w/ Magnaflow race series mufflers w/ 4" tips, Bosch
+4s, FMS 9mm blue wires, IAT mod, Bullit fuel door, 35% tint all
around, APC clear sidemarkers, PIAA 510 driving lights, Cuzo
headlights, "carbon" sail panels, chopped shifter w/ Richbrook knob,
OBX pedal pads, "Bluepoint" Key Largo HU, Pioneer TS-A6955 6x9 3-way speakers in the doors, Precision Power PPI2240 amp, Xtant X410 10" sub in bandpass enclosure.
#508 03/30/01 06:48 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Quote:
I want to add that THERE REALLY IS A CONCERN in daily driving about oil staravtion. Since this issue came up about 9 mo ago, we have had about 9 failures, related to oil starvation/spun bearings on SVTs, that 1) were low mileage (<50K), 2)5 of the 9 were in long hard R sweeping turns on the street, 3)All reported wbeing well maintained typically with full levels of Synthetic oil.

For me to help at all I need more information than this. It?s not that I don?t believe you, but you have to understand I need a more concise explanation. At the very least I need each VIN, name, service history, and all details about (honestly) when and where it happed. As I stated before the concerns we get are raised through dealer service and the tech hotline, if they don?t exist there then the process never starts. We can?t react without details on what happened. I say this because I personally got deeply involved with a similar concern, after a lot of effort on my part as well as a couple of engineers it was found the customer ran the engine out of oil on numerous occasions. That is why it is very difficult to see actual versus perceived issues. I will do as much as I can to help. Have those particular owners e-mail me and I will take it further.

Troy

Troy

93 Cobra
#4336 of 4993
built 6/10/93

93 SHO ATX
built 6/8/93
#509 03/30/01 06:53 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Quote:
So where exactly should we email any details about tranny issues?

troym@campbellco.com

Sorry, thought it would show up in my profile.

Troy

Troy

93 Cobra
#4336 of 4993
built 6/10/93

93 SHO ATX
built 6/8/93
#510 03/30/01 07:18 PM
A
A
Guys,

Out of curiosity I called SVT to speak to Troy. Low and behold, a guy named Troy got on the phone! We had a very good discussion about all kinds of issues, with the tranny issue in particular (my biggest issue as a 'victim' of this problem).

He assured me that some SVT represntation will be out there at SZ, which is really cool.

He keeps asking us for detailed information on problems we have, including VIN, mileage, details on problems, etc. LETS GIVE IT TO HIM! Can't we put together some type of web-based form on the site? I would like to help out here if I could. I am a developer and could easily put together such a repository. I think that it should be on contour.org, or at least linked directly off of contour.org. If the latter is acceptable to all, I have the hardware up and running, and can put this together very quickly. I am looking for some direction here from the moderators, etc. I am really serious about this...Troy told me that the Tranny failures are not commonplace, and that the only recently started happening. I know if I can aggregate this data, we can prove otherwise. Perhaps we can use the data to make a difference and get some type of compensation, i.e. another TSB, etc.

Andrew

Comments/ideas to this one can be sent to me offline at ancosta speakeasy.org

Andrew
99 SVT
#511 03/30/01 07:29 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Quote:
Originally posted by svtrocks:
I called for my certificate but no word and the second time I called I was told that because I bought it used I couldn't get anything.

I looked up you VIN and you are not registered in our database. What you or anyone else interested in a certificate needs to do is fax or mail proof of ownership. That would be any legal document that has you name, address, and VIN on it.

Fax 313-271-6196

or

mail to:

SVT
PO Box 490
Dearborn MI 48121

Troy

Troy

93 Cobra
#4336 of 4993
built 6/10/93

93 SHO ATX
built 6/8/93
#512 03/30/01 07:55 PM
J
Jim Offline
J
Troy,

Since you're reading these, just want to express my thanks that someone at SVT is looking into this. It has been a year since the complaints about these significant mechanical issues starting showing up on CEG.
Thanks again!

2000 Lincoln LS V6 Sport MTX
Mods: K&N Air Filter
FORMER OWNER: 2000 Contour SVT, Red/Tan (227/2150)
GO PACKERS!
#513 03/30/01 08:16 PM
M
M
Thanx Troy for trying to help..

My SVT has been doing pretty good except for the paint. I know this is a Ford issue but what can be done about it? The color is black and the paint is trashed. It is chipping off and there is a type of spiderwebbing going on. Looks like little scratches in white all over the hood, roof, trunk and beginning to spread to the sides.

There was a post about 6 months ago that dealt with this problem and over 175 people responded. What can I do to get this fixed?

I am the second owner so I cannot confirm how it was taken car of before but my wifes 1990 Accord had better paint and it was 10 years old. No way should a car's paint fail so quickly. Ford should have just taken their cars to have them painted at MAACO; same quality.

If Ford could reimburse me for at least the cost of materials, this would be great. I do not want "Ford" to repaint my car.

------------------
Black E0 SVT #2239
K & N Induction/Res Replaced w/str8 pipe
Silver accented interior/White HVAC panel/Chrome painted front grills
Sony Explod Audio stuff
Koni/Eibach suspension on order...ooohhhh!!

Josh
Aka Spectra SVT
02 Dark Highland Green F-150 XLT
Mods: Gunrack and cowboy boots
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard