PoJay, I've put many cars through emissions in AZ. The emissions tests are done by a subcontracted private industry. Most of the time you could use a crayola and write '50 state legal #....' on a gum wrapper and they wont care AS LONG AS it passes emissions. AZ tests aren't too stringent either. What year is your car? In AZ now the law is you don't have to test a new car until it is 5 years old. That corresponds to the factory emissions warranty of 5 yrs 50K. For my 99 I will be required to get a test in Oct 2004. I believe that is regardless of who bought the car or when. Where you live in AZ also changes the emissions test requirement. If your car is registered in the big cities then it will be required, but my dad lives 50 miles ouside of Tucson and he has no emissions test required.
For peace of mind when I did my car and mystery modded it, I ran it through emissions (still had the main cat) to see if it would pass with all the modifications. No problems.
Anyway, you can put the S/C on and not worry about it until the 5th year as they will never see it. Then of course you should have your smog sticker.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black