This thread seems to have taken a life of it's own. I wonder if it will ever end.

About Mobil 1 and oil leaks. According to some of the reading i have done, and I don't remember where, early Mobil 1 sometimes did cause leaks, especially when used in older engines. Mobil 1 has since changed their formulation so this is less of a problem. It seems that the base stock tended to slightly shrink some gasket materials, especially when changing to Mobil 1 after using dino oil for a long time. The move to the "tri synthetic" nearly eliminated that problem as the offending base stock was supplimented with two additional base stocks that did not have that property. Receintly, Mobil 1 has had their formulation altered once again. I'm sure that they are continually working to improve the product.

After reading that, I reflected on some engine tear downs I had seen where Mobil 1 had been used. The gaskets did look a little different, but nothing I could quite put my finger on. It was like suddenly a part of the puzzle came together.

I'm sure that these comments will stir the pot and generate more posts for this thread.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited