Originally posted by rozwell911:
Originally posted by Thuundar80530:
Change interval for high end synthetics is NOT 5k miles. 25k miles, with warranty. Change the filter every 12.5k miles, again warranty. Price per quart is around $6. Filter for a Contour is less than $10. Let's NOT use the same filter for dino oil. Synthetics require better filters. And by high end, I'm talking synthetics formulated to run more than 7.5k miles (Mobil 1). Who's manipulating numbers, change the oil as specified by the oil manufacturer. And my Contour uses 6 quarts of oil..not 5. We'll use your outlandish 40k per year (very high number).

OK, I have to disagree with part of the above statement. Any oil I would not change every 25,000 Miles. The longest I have gone is 10,000k and thats only because I was on business trips with my work and didn;t have time.

And 40k is just a ludicrus number. I know...some manufatures now say you can go 25k, 30k and even 50k before you have an oil change....But if you speak to a meachnic (even most dealer mechanics)here in SanJose, CA, they still
reconmend changing oil every 5 to 7k miles.

Even my own work a parts whole seller,(who has few cars in the SpeedVision challange)reconmend a 5 to 7 interval. And I trust my work more than a mechanic.

Just my opinion.

Roz

Then you'll be interested to learn this, Roz: When I had my Merkur XR4Ti (a turbo car w/cast iron block AND cast iron head, INSANE underhood temps -- made worse by >100-degree Texas summers --and modified by me for higher boost and compression), I once had the Amsoil 10-w40 I ran in my car analyzed at 9000+ miles. The lab certified it as still good for use. Even Amsoil does not recommend a drain interval that long for turbo cars. After that, I neverf hesitated to go 7000-8000 miles between oil changes in that car.

I currently go approx 14,000 between changes in my CSVT -- using Amsoil's spin-on oil filter, of course.

Drumbo