Originally posted by 88SVT:
Originally posted by rozwell911:
Hey Guys, Happy holidays. I hope everyone is safe out there.

I was over hearing a conversation of a few mechanics and some of them said that they wouldn't reconmend Sythetic Oil over Regular. Now I love my Mobile one in my car, but is running sythetic bad?? I can't believe that but the question is running through my mind because thats what one of the mechanic said. I know mixing sythetic and reg. is bad but I find it hard to believe Pure sytheic is bad for you car...and yes I over heard the entire conversation of the mechanics so I didn;t leave anything out.

Can anyone shed a little light?

Roz

I'd run what the manufacturer suggests. Some manufacturers (Lotus, GM for Corvette, etc.) use Mobil 1. Ford now uses some sort of synthetic blend I believe when you go to get your oil changed at the dealership. Everyone is going to have their preference, mostly guided by what someone else says or does. When I was a kid a million years ago, I'd run nothing but Valvoline Racing Oil in my Cuda. Why? Because some racing team did. Did it make my car faster or protect the engine better? Probably no to both answers (it was street driven). And that was dino oil. And I've had all my car's engines (except the Contour's) apart for reasons ranging from total rebuilds to just changing valve cover gaskets (Ranger) and their engines have been as clean as the proverbial babies behind. All of them. The Ranger has over 350K miles on it and it's never faltered once in any area that oil would make a difference. A regular oil/filter change mantra is the best insurance you can provide.

By the way, you didn't state why these guys said that synthetic was bad so something was left out. At any rate, run it if you want but as a number of posters have said, it's probably overkill. Personally, and even though our cars are fast approaching end of warranty (if not already out of warranty) being guided by what the manufacturer suggests is better insurance as far as I'm concerned if for only one reason: If your engine failed while under warranty and it was regularly serviced at a dealer, you'd likely suffer less of a hassle getting it replaced than if you DIY'd it with some other type oil. It's got to count for something. Just my .02 cents.

Karl

Spec is spec, Karl. If you've been running ANY oil that meets manufacturer's spec and changing it at the correct intervals, any dealer who uses tries to use your choice of oil as a club to beat you with is trying to run a number on you.

If anything, the closer you are to out-of-warranty, the stronger the case for converting to synthetics ASAP.