Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by dnewma04:

How many people keep their cars past 100k anyway?

i will (have clost to 90k right now, and just go the car 9 months ago). i want to do everything i can to protect the engine (especially in georgia heat, and the way I sometimes treat the car). anything that can possibly make the car last longer is worth it to me. and since I change it myself, the cost comes out to around the same as quick lube cost. A smoother idle can't be bad for the engine at times other than idle, so I figure that's a good indication that it's helping. (Synthetics used early enough can help to stop leaks (smaller molecule size, seals better) as long as you have lower miles, so yes it can make an engine last longer).

Synthetics have never shown a definitively longer engine life. Basically, if you changed your oil religously at 3k miles using Dino oil and had an identical car and changed mobil 1 every 5k miles (I'm being outlandishly conservative with the intervals), no testing has shown the car using Mobil 1 will have longer engine life. I wholeheartedly disagree with your comment that it will definitively last longer. It may or may not last longer. If you don't mind spending the extra money to get piece of mind, so be it.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg