Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Originally posted by Black98SEatx:
Ford Technician here,
I really believe in Mobil 1 synthetics. I have used it in my tour from when i bought it at 28,000 miles till now i have 42,500 miles.
pros- longer engine life, decreased wear,less repairs,
runs smoother, cooler, and feels more powerful.
All due to synthetic oil being perfectlly clean,
(doesn't have to be refined)resulting in less deposits
in the engine.Added lubrication due to syn. additives.
cons-none in my view except price($4.25 a qt.)
and still have to change every 3,000 miles, people
always think they can run syn. oil longer intervals
Not True!!!every 3,000 miles or 3 months!

Well, I have my oil analyzed, and they tell me that my oil which had 5500 miles on it could have gone longer...

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Quote:

Spoken like a "loyal to the profession" tech...

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Without reading all the other post or asking you for specifics I know what the cons were. If your motor didn't have it from day one or right after it was broke in you would get leaks right? I've heard this a MILLION times, BS I tell you. Before I had the CSVT I had a 93 Park Avenue Ultra that I bought w/ 84K and switched to Mobil 1 right away...no leaks! Before that I had an 89 LeSabre T type that I bought w/80K and ran Mobil 1...no leaks again! Also during the time of owning those 2 Buicks I had a toy, which was also a Buick...1987 GN which I ran Mobil 1 in and that car had 87K on it when I first got it. The only leak that car had was a rear main seal and if you know anything about 3.8 SFI Turbo motors they ALL leaked, especially when you run between 18-22 psi of boost through them In closing I say run the Mobil 1, in your weight (unless its real cold where you live, then run the 0w30 in the winter monthes) and be done with it. Oh yeah, don't forget the Mobil 1 synthetic oil filter too

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
Mobil 1 is formulated for 'normal' oil changes...hence the reason it's a 'Wal-Mart' brand . Upscale synthetics are formulated to last much longer, and even give you a warranty. I've had analysis done on my oil after 25k, and it still has life left .

D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Originally posted by RogerB:
Quote:

Spoken like a "loyal to the profession" tech...

Yep...from 1955. My wife recently got her oil changed and was scolded for going 5k miles on an oil change (conventional oil).

The conversation went like this....

Undereducated brainwashed tech: Do you realize that you went 5000 MILES on an oil change?
Christie: Yes. I decided to bring it in early.
Undereducated brainwashed tech: Do you realize how dangerous that is? Do you not care about your car?
Christie: My dad told me it would be fine. He knows best.
Undereducated brainwashed tech: Your father is wrong. I work in the oil industry and I know what I am talking about.
Christie: My dad is the chairman of ILSAC, co-chairman of a few subcommittees of API, and Manager for GM fuel and lubrications department.
Undereducated brainwashed tech: What's ILSAC?
Christie: Just change my oil.

The moral of the story is that Synthetics are obviously better oils than conventional (this is not even debatable), but if there was even ONE person on here that has any need to run synthetics in their contour, I would literally be stunned (yes, even you Demon). They do last longer, so a bit more money could be justified, but not as much as they charge. If mobile 1 could be found for 2.00 a quart on sale, I would use it. But, I have never found it for that cheap, so I will continue to use the cheapest API certified oil, and never, no matter how hard I drive, have any issues just using conventional.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
why in the world would an oil mogul let her daughter take her car to get the oil changed at some "tech garage"? take it to the laboratory!

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
then i guess i wont say what i pay for amsoil series 2000

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by Thuundar80530:
Mobil 1 is formulated for 'normal' oil changes...hence the reason it's a 'Wal-Mart' brand . Upscale synthetics are formulated to last much longer, and even give you a warranty. I've had analysis done on my oil after 25k, and it still has life left .

What are you talking about??? What "Wal-Mart Brand"????????????? Geez!

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Big Jim, I was just curious why you felt the need to use the 3k change interval?
Reading all these posts, it is clear that everyone holds near and dear their own beliefs regarding oil, as I do also.
Mine is over 30 years years worth of driving as well as racing (SCCA Showroom Stock Sedan).
I have had my oil analysized for the past 30 years as well.
Just using the facts as they are presented to me.
Bill

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I just like keeping the engine clean. My experience is that longer oil change intervals are more likely to lead to sludged up engines. Perhaps it is a little old fashioned, but I remember tearing down too many engines that had huge amounts of sludge. Even today's engines with today's oils are not immune. Look at the problems that Toyota has been having. I believe in agressive maintenance.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard