Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
That is a good question...

What is covered under the 80K warranty?

Will it hurt to drive the car a few more days with it tripping a PO420 code?

If this can cause further damage, what damage can it do?

I plan to get it to the shop next Monday... leaving it to sit over the week end.

Eurythmian

'96 Oxford White Mercury Mystique "Spree" Equipped with a stock 170hp Duratec 2.5L - V-6, 4 speed ATX Purchased NEW @ $18,756.00 on 1/11/97 with 25 miles on the Odometer. It's a "Tubeless Tique"
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
What all is covered, I am not sure. I do know that all three cats are covered. If you have doubts and close to 80k, question them now!!

It will not overly hurt anything to carry on with the 420. No it is not a good idea, but I drive, on average, around 120 miles a day and have gone for about 4 months now. Slowly nipping away at all possiblities. I have symptoms ranging from lack of power, to stumble and somewhat bad gas mileage (21 mpg).

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
E
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
I've noticed my gas mileage has started to decline along with power. Seems to be a bit sluggish.

So, since it's a PO420 code... what will FORD be replacing?

Oh - another thing, I'm going to have them flush out the radiator to insure all debris is out. It seems to get hot if I come to a stop and sit for over 10 seconds. After I get going the Temp comes back down. The gauge never used to move... makes me think something is obstruction the coolant flow. It will be interesting to see if they want to charge me for anymore work pertaining the coolant system. I will keep you guys updated.

Eurythmian

'96 Oxford White Mercury Mystique "Spree" Equipped with a stock 170hp Duratec 2.5L - V-6, 4 speed ATX Purchased NEW @ $18,756.00 on 1/11/97 with 25 miles on the Odometer. It's a "Tubeless Tique"
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Did you have to pay for the water pump every time!?

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
E
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
I didn't have to pay for the last one.
The dealership apologized over and over - because it was their fault it was in there for the fourth time. The service manager couldn't look me in the eye when he talked to me... I think he was embarrassed.

I kept asking questions like, "How can the same person be given so many chances to get something right and no one go behind him to inspect his work... especially when this vehicle has been in here as many times as it has? I can understand maybe having to do something over for the second time - but four?! A person at job may have been fired for being such a screw up at this point. You surely didn't give my car to the same guy for repairs this time - did you?"

He couldn't look at me as he said, "No sire, we have someone else completing the repairs. We are truly sorry and hope you aren't too upset with us. I understand who frustrated you must be. We are going to ensure the repair work is correct this time."

What I expected him to do is at least give me complementary oil change or something... but that never happened. I guess I didn't make a big enough scene. I'm going to - this time. They need to not charge me for anything related to the coolant system... they have had plenty of chances to get this right. If their is debris in the radiator, it is their fault... at it should be a no charge.

Anyway... I've dropped some big bills this year on this car. I'm sure you can see why I'm a bit annoyed at it. Hopefully it will straighten up. I've just about replaced everything at this point... except the tranny. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!

Eurythmian

E
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
OK, another question....

First, let me tell you what I has happened since I last posted.
I disconnected the battery and let the car sit for 30 minutes to reset the computer.
This of course got rid of the PO420 code.
I reconnected the battery.

I was almost on empty - so I filled it up with regular unleaded.
I have been running around with the top grade - high octane for about six months now.

Now, I have driven the car over 200 miles since I reset the computer.
The "Check Engine" light is NOT coming on.

Could it have tripped the code due to running the higher octane gas?
I know Contours and Mystiques are designed to take regular... but I had noticed it was not getting the best gas mileage - this is why I switched.

It seems to be running fine with the lower octane fuel in it now.
Should I take it back up to Auto Zone and have them check it out?
Will they be able to tell if it is running too rich with out the "Check Engine" light on?

Eurythmian

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
The hicher octane gas was most likely causing you to run rich because it was igniting later (higher flash point) and not completely burning.

Cold weather will make it much worse.

Going back to the regular fuel (correct octane the PCM is programmed for) as well as resetting the computer (it relearns) let the engine operate as it should and let the fuel completely burn. (ignites sooner)

BTW - higher octane fuel than needed will lower MPG & performance for the above reasons. Not raise it.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
E
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
So, if I notice that the mpg is not what it used to be... there is something wrong and I shouldn't put octane boost or fuel treatment in the gas? This will likely cause the fuel to not burn correctly - causing a O2 Sensor to trip a code?

I'm still learning...

Eurythmian

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Octane booster is not necessary or even a good idea.
Many high octane mixtures contain extra oxygenates which may skew a borderline problem.

Just wait and see. The cats seem to be dying, so you will see a world of difference after replacement.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
E
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
E
So, even though the "Check Engine" light is not coming on, can I take in to the dealership?

Will they be able to see if the cats are going out?

Eurythmian

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard