Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Isn't there a recall for the cat? I remember something about it corroding and it should be under recall.

1995 Contour LX (ATX) KKM True Rev Sport Induction ( Video ) Alpine CDA-7894 / JBL 1200W AMP 12" MTX Subs 5x7 Alpine Mids Brullen mandrel bent quasi-dual exaust
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
really? it downst have any warrenty left taht i know of

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
i just called the stealership about the cat, they said "if its not teh cat you will pay the diagnostic fee" i was like "how much is it?" and they said "probably $120"

i replied "for that price i can buy a new, hi-flow one... click"

so...

is there any free or inexpensive way of checking the cat?

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
The sensors downstream of precats or upstream of main cat control nothing

The sensors upstream of precats control fuel and air

1999 GREEN Contour SE SPORT Duratec V6, ATX, SUNROOF, 93,000 Miles, P0420 ON&OFF -replaced DS O2 --did not FIX *New TORQUE CONVERTER @ 53,000-Intermittent P1744 *New DASH at 53,000 and New DASH lifted-now using MOLLEY bolts to pull down
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
There are ways to check everything.

For the cat you need a pressure guage. I use an old vacuum/fuel pump guage. just stick it on the lower EGR pipe nipple where the DPFE attaches. REV it some and watch the guage. Normally it might peak at 3psi but mostly stay around 1psi and below.

You said this started when you changed the O2 sensor so that needs to be checked. First look at the wiring for damage on the front sensor under the exhaust manifold. Get an analog voltmeter, a cheap one will do. Use alligator clips and pins, or piercing clips to read the voltage at the plug or by piercing the wire insulation. Two wires should have yellow stripes, these are for the heating element an should have 12v across them. if not check fuse 13. The other two wires are ground (black or brown), and the sensor output (white or grey). With the car running you should have .45v on the meter and the needle should wiggle back and forth very rapidly. If there is no voltage or it is below .45 volts the car will run rich like yours.

Get out there and try it, it's realy not that hard. just don't short anything out or burn yourself. Later you can use the meter to test the coolant sensor and see how the MAF works.

If you won't do this, I suggest you put the car on diagnostic equipment and get a printout. This will tell you how well all of the sensors are doing and pinpoint the problem.

And check for gas in the oil!!!
The engine will die if too much gas gets in the oil!!!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
how much will a cheap voltmeter cost? also, is there an easy way i can get under my car?

thx for the help guys

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I've seen cheap voltmeters as low as $12-$18. Try Wal-Mart or Radio Shack. Put it up on blocks, my old ramps are usless now because all the new cars are too low. Oh well, maybe I'll get a pickup.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
ok, its cold as hell out, wet too, i dont have a garage, and all i got is some old ass ramps. that thing to connect your laptop to your car, would that be useful? i heard it reads exactly how the engine is running. if thats the case and this would help me out, ill order one today (someone give me the link please)

thx, russell

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
anyone know if that thing to connect my laptop would help me diagnose the problem??

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
?????????

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard