Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Thank you so much for your insights. I am very interested in your statement "With around $7-10K in modifications (S/C or T/C, beefed-up transmission, suspension work, exhaust modifications, some minor engine work included, beefier brakes, etc.), you've now got a car that is back to hanging with cars that cost 2X as much." I would like to learn more about how I can improve my car. Where should I concentrate my efforts? I already have had a lot done but maybe more would help? I just need clarification on where the really important areas are. Should I check under modifications?

Again, thanks, and thank you for seeing my sincerity. I don't mean anything bad by my post.

New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
OK here is where I am confused. What is an SVT? I think I have an SE. And how do I know if I have things like stiffer springs etc.? I know what interior options I have but thats about it. Also whats a zetech? I'm really not stupid just a woman trying to learn about her car.

New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Yes definately. For the money the Contour offered everything I wanted plus whereas for the same amount other cars only offered a base model. I guess my disillusionment started when the car was in the shop every month during the first year and a half. And not much has changed since then. Maybe I just have bad luck.

New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I agree. For the money it offered WAY more than any other car in its class.

New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Can a woman who doesn't know a thing about cars do any of these mods or do I have to take it in? Where do I start?

New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Thanks for your reply. I did buy the car because no doubt it was the best deal for the $$$. When I first got in it to drive I loved it (but I was also trading in a 10 year old car so anything new would have been great to me). I bought it took it home and it started to fall apart. Literally. Also I will say I never liked the body style but again thats a personal choice. Even though I didn't like the style I liked all the options for the money more so I just overlooked it. Now I find this site after I've had the car for 4 years and everyone is raving about it. So I'm just trying to see this car through others eyes and see what I am missing. With all the informative posts like yours I'm learning.!!!

New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Whatever. Dismissed.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
LoL!! Well that explains a lot, you're a woman... Just kidding. Anyways, the best way to learn how to do things is just to get your hands dirty. Some mods you will be able to do... some you wont. Just read as much of this website as you can, ask a lot of ?'s, and listen to the answers. Also again if you are really interested, find someone close to your area, and hook up with them. Definatly go to the meets. a 98 Se can have just about anything on it, you just have to read the options that came with your car. I'ts also confusing because 98 was the year the models changed over. anyways I'm sure someone will post the differences... Have fun, and I really was kidding about the woman thing so please no women yell at me!!

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I purchased my contour (98 se sport v6 atx) when the my prior car died rather suddenly. A bit of background. I tend to buy cars that please me for whatever reasons, without concern for what others think. Hence, at one time I had a Yugo and a Jaguar at the same time. (I lived in the mountains of Northeast Tennessee, and the yugo was hoot on the maountain roads..being a fiat by another name.) Anyway, I have driven mostly european cars, the above plus assorted fiats, alfa romeos, occasional VW, etc. Grew up with assorted other european cars coming through Dad's garage through the years. The "normal" european cars, plus the Abarth, the Lancias, the Simca, etc.

As a result I have come to appreciate the subtle "feel" given to cars designed in europe for europeans. Across the pond, drivers expect a greater sense of coimmunication between the driver and car. You can tell what the front tires are doing by the feel through the steering wheel if you know what to feel for. Generally, American and to a lesser degree Japanese manufacturers try to isolate the driver from these sensations. The countour allows me to have this driver pleasure, especially when I am trying to push the car quickly, and still be able to find parts at the local autozone. I love the engine design. The car is quite quick for what I paid.

I paid $8500 for a three year old SE sport w/ 61K. It presently has 96K. Previous owner had the MAF replaced under warranty, no other work. I have done normal preventative maintainence, and replaced the waterpump when it failed at 83K miles. Ford replaced all the catalytic cinverters under the emmisions warranty at 82K (first showed signs of failure at 78K, I drove the car another 4K before Ford got the parts in and I scheduled the car for service.) For me, the car had been quite reliable. The only other 4 door on my shopping list at the time was a VW jetta with the VR6. I doubt that I would have that any more reliable. My car was built in Kansas City, I suspect that the cars built in Mexico may have more problems.

In short, what I find in this car is similar to my experience with the Jaguars, Alfa Romeos, and Fiats that I have owned. Clever and fun engineering, let down by erratic execution at the build plant. I'll put up with that for a car that makes me smile. (Especially if I get one of the ones that is more reliable.) The few Japanese cars that I have owned I couldn't wait to get rid of because they bored me.

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
I guess if after reading a lot of what is on this site, you still have to ask why people like their contours, then maybe this isn't for you?

Just a thought....

But I'll answer your question anyways....

I like my car cause it hauls tail and it corners like it's on rails. Plus it looks sweet. Pretty much the bottom line. I really don't need anything else out of my vehicle. Yeah I've spent some cash on her, well about $3500 in the last month, another $1000 going into a new clutch next week. But I don't mind dumping huge amounts of my money into it, I love it, it's my favorite thing to do in my freetime, besides my girlfriend .

Oh yeah, SVT stands for Special Vehicle Team. I.E. the team of engineers that designed that particular model. They've also done the Mustang Cobra, Focus SVT and the F150 Lightning SVT (which are all still currently being produced).

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard