Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
That is cool news Chris..we all hope to "follow your progress".

I am wondering..since you are building a true race car, perhaps Ford Racing or SVE can sell either cam blanks or touring car grinds that Chris Reinke & others have used. Or at least give spesc?? I would certainly talk with L. Capaldi, Mirko, or other racers & see if they have a Ford contact for the parts..IIRC Kinetics Racing builds Capaldis engines..wonder if they would help a little (maybe not as you could be considered a competitor).

What about the UIM?? I heard some have cut them open ported & welded them closed..not sure if true? At least 3-4 passes through Extrude Hone...SPONSER?!

Wonder if DAB valvetrain can be adapted from LS 3.0L to the 2.5??? Just thinking out loud..

Good luck & keep us posted!

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
C
C
High rev limits almost always requires upgraded valve springs and retainers. Also too aggressive of a cam profile and the duratec's wide useable powerband won't be so wide anymore, and you'll feel like your driving a duratec with VTEC as your power won't come until high in the revs.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Wow, this is overwhelming. I'm going to have to take it in one step at a time. As far as contacting the other Ford Racers, and some ex racers, it has been a little difficult as it is a conflict of interest for current runners. I fully understand that they have done their research and it is only fair that we do our own. As far as past Ford racers, they aren't as helpful any longer as many have moved on to other vehicles.

Thanks for all of your help. Kinger, I'll be in touch aout the head work.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Chris,

Kinger is the contact on the heads. I can hook you up with some rod bearings, but the mains aren't released yet. For rods go to Cunningham as that is where I had mine built. Other than that go with a lightened flywheel, DMD, and full balancing and knife edge the crank. Oops, you can try nikolas at duratecperformance.com on the pistons and also on the bearings too.

Rick

Rick

Cunningham? Do you have any contact info for them? As far as the other recommendations, there is already a Fidanza installed, along with a UR stage 1+ clutch kit. A DMD would definitely be a plus, when we get a hold on stock again.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
That is cool news Chris..we all hope to "follow your progress".

I am wondering..since you are building a true race car, perhaps Ford Racing or SVE can sell either cam blanks or touring car grinds that Chris Reinke & others have used. Or at least give spesc?? I would certainly talk with L. Capaldi, Mirko, or other racers & see if they have a Ford contact for the parts..IIRC Kinetics Racing builds Capaldis engines..wonder if they would help a little (maybe not as you could be considered a competitor).

What about the UIM?? I heard some have cut them open ported & welded them closed..not sure if true? At least 3-4 passes through Extrude Hone...SPONSER?!

Wonder if DAB valvetrain can be adapted from LS 3.0L to the 2.5??? Just thinking out loud..

Good luck & keep us posted!

Dan

We have about 3 months to get this done, as the practice starts in March or so next year. I was thinking of Chris Reinke. Wonder where he is now a days? I spoke to Kinetic, earlier this year, when I wanted to do a N/A 3.0l. Granted they build great engines, but the owner of the Contour race car is on a limited budget and we can only help him so much financially. Basically, a "Kinetic" built engine would cost more than the amount the race car was purchased for. I foresee more $$$$ needed to get the job done right the first time.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
In reply to:

Also too aggressive of a cam profile and the duratec's wide useable powerband won't be so wide anymore, and you'll feel like your driving a duratec with VTEC as your power won't come until high in the revs.

As far as a road racing application goes, a wide powerband is not as much of a priority as it is in drag racing and street use. Thats how lemans cars can get away with huge turbos that only spool in the upper rev range. My car has a terrible power band, but i never leave the 6,000 to 8,500 rpm range, so any low end torque would be wasted.

98 3.0 svt: Sold
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
http://www.cunninghamrods.com/

Chris, they built the rods for my 3L last year. Basically you tell them the specs of the rods and they build them to your spec. Also, something to consider might be cryo treating at www.300below.com

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
how about the 4.5 final drive ring and pinion that leo capaldi sells?

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by cawong11:

No prob chief! I have over 4 sets either going under the knife or being operated on right now. Turnaround time is about 3 weeks give or take. Thanks!

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by kinger:
Originally posted by cawong11:

No prob chief! I have over 4 sets either going under the knife or being operated on right now. Turnaround time is about 3 weeks give or take. Thanks!

Email has been sent.

So far, this is what has been mentioned.
Pistons: J.E.
Rods: Cunningham
Bearings: Trimetal Clevite
Cylinder head work: Kinger
Cams: custom grinds, we are contacting CAT CAMS (Canadian company)
Possible cryogenic treatment of various engine parts.

This is an excellent start. I can't thank you guys enough.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard