Originally posted by ov3n:
Err.. Hold on, the non turbo Impreza's dont have a scoop.

Explain this to me, this is a picture of non-turbo Impreza:

I'm not getting on NorCal's back about getting a hood made for us. I want to make sure things are getting done right, and not turn out to be another ghey accessories like clear tail lights.

The intercooler on a WRX (*gasp* even the non STi version) has a screen to protect it from rocks and pebbles. This is how they can get away with a scoop like this. And it NEEDS that scoop there, hence the name interCOOLer.. Dont think it would be able to cool that incoming air if it was in the engine bay without a scoop there.

Then there should be a screen on any other hoodscoop too. Or what you're saying is that Contour don't need a scoop? If so, then why even have one?

So you would like a scoop placed over the air filter. That's cool, slick. But Norcal won't be responsible when you hydrolock your engine when you drive in a rainstorm.

Anyone stupid enough to drive through adverse weather without covering up the scoop deserve to problem to their car.

Even with a scoop over the air filter, you're still going to experience heatsoak from a stop. NOTHING short of a plastic heat shield will prevent hot engine air from migrating over to the air filter while the car is not in motion. Not even a dainty little hole cut in the hood above the filter.

Next point. When the car is in motion, air is already circulating through the engine bay. The filter will be sucking in slightly wamrer than ambient air... And on a hot day, 98 degree air isn't gonna make a lot of difference over 93 degree air.

Who's talking about from a stop here other than you? Why the hell would anyone need a scoop at anywhere when the car is at a stop?

have a charming day.

I suggest you do the same!