Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
96BlackSE,

OK - I'm convinced that YOU are convinced that just because the pulley is underdriven - the losses are less.

But that is NOT true.

Think about it. If the battery is fully charged, the alternator will NOT draw a load (or take HP to turn).

Even if the alternator is slowed down (underdriven by using a larger pulley), the load on it is stil determined by the voltage regulator.

Dead battery = large draw & load
Full battery = no draw

Underdriving a coolant pump may save a little power at first, but I'll take all the sustained cool water I can get to my engine.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by 99fordsvt:
1. The alternator only draws as much as the regulator tells it to
If the battery is fully charged, the alternator will NOT draw a load (or take HP to turn).
2. based on the state of charge of the battery.
3. Seems this is a nice machined part - but don't buy it thinking it will help performance.

1. The regulator regulates the voltage. (I.E. Voltage Regulator) Not the amperage draw!

2. The car most certainly DOES run off the alternator.

Only in times of peak load where the alternator can not support the amperage demand does the battery supply it's reserve power to the car.
The battery has 2 functions: It's main function is to start the engine & it's secondary function is as backup reserve for when demand levels exceed alternator output.

Common times where this can occur is at idle with accessories & lights running and definitely if one has a high wattage sound system.

For Reference - The alternator is rated at roughly 4000-5000 rpm (engine speed)
It is not a linear curve either. It starts out at about half rating at 1000rpm and arcs up to it max rpm (normally tested to the equivalent of 6000-7000 rpm engine speed)

For instance our alternator. (a rough example but close enough for a reference)
1000rpm = 60 amps
2000rpm = 75 amps
3000rpm = 95 amps
4000rpm = 125 amps
5000rpm = 135 amps
6000rpm = 140 amps
7000rpm = 145 amps

Now figure any underdriving would directly lower the max amperage output at each rpm point by the % amount compared against the curve slope.

3. Since the alternator is rpm dependant slowing it down will create less drag on the FEAD system. Are we talking bunches of HP/TQ. Heck no.
Probably not even an amount big enough to ever be verified.

However you have to think about the fact it is slowing the alternator down as rpm passes 5k, 6k, 7k.

This will aid in longevity of the alternator for those people that drive their car like it was designed to be driven. The fact it may free up a little parasitic drag is just a bonus.

As I have said before I think this is definitely a good mod for anyone running a stock sized battery, no electric waterpump, or no major sound system. (personally I've not any problem with it & my dyna-batt though)

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Anyone with a large sound system, may want to think twice about the ALT pulley. Slowing it down will effect idle amperage output. If your lights dim now at idle, they certainly wont get better. Just food for thought...

They do look very good though

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
All the packages have been sent.(since my internet was acting up yesterday) Let me know when you guys receive them

I will find out the belt size ASAP!

Thanks,
Nima

3.0 14.392@97.237 2.302 60ft OEM 4-bolt LCA's $105 each Watch me go
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
My P/S pulley showed up today! Yay!

My wife says it looks awesome!

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Hey both of my pulleys showed up today and they look like top quality work was done. Hey thanks for everything you done for us. And I will be sending you some money through paypal i just dont have paypal but my girlfrined dad does and im going to send it through him i hope. But i get there one way or another. Like i said before thanks for everything they look awesome.

Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
I am glad they showed up

I couldn't get around to install them this weekend on my car since I was real busy with work

Did you guys get charged for customs at all? I thought if I wrote 'Replacement units for faulty units' on them and mark it as a gift they wouldn't bother

Nima

3.0 14.392@97.237 2.302 60ft OEM 4-bolt LCA's $105 each Watch me go
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
I got mine today too! Nima, looks like top quality work!! Now, get them installed on your car and get us the belt par number! Thanks again!

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Thanks a bunch for getting these done, Nima!
Pic with DMD

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
O
Admin + 1/2
Admin + 1/2
O
Originally posted by 96BlackSE:
Did you guys get charged for customs at all? I thought if I wrote 'Replacement units for faulty units' on them and mark it as a gift they wouldn't bother

Nima

Nope. The postal woman handed me the box and all I had to do was sign for it. We've never had to pay customs after ordering something from Canada. I think the US is much more relaxed about that.

=) Christy

Christy Kinley 95 Contour SE MTX 01 Outback Limited Wagon with all the goodies
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard